Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ty Mini company

Options
  • 05-09-2007 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Anybody else does this?You split into groups in business class, then arrange to sell stuff at a trade fair.Should be good craic, me and the mates will proberbly set up a wii to play and few other small stuff to sell.
    Whats everyone else doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'm not doing it but some kids in my school said it was sh!t. I had it as like my 3rd preference but didn't get it. Which is strange because some people got it twice due to a mistake:D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I tried it last year but failed miserably because the teacher wouldn't let us do what we wanted, initially we were going to do Christmas hampers...but for some reason she wouldn't let us do it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm in 5th now but done TY last yera. I done the Coca Cola Blastbeat comp, if your class are interested in music and can lift their own weight I'd recommend it.
    http://www.blastbeat.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

We had loads of ideas but none that would work:

Free Magazine paid for by ads but there'd be nothing else to put in it

Customised stickers (my dad has a wide format printer so it would be easy)

Halloween Gig/disco but loads of people want to do it and there's only one function room out of Greystones and Kilcoole.

We'd need to sell things outside school because NO ONE made money last year. I mean last year they launched a school magazine. It was €1 per copy and they managed to lose money cos no one paid for theirs.

BTW we have to register them with the Wicklow VEC (why?) on Friday so we need an idea fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Organising gigs etc would be a good idea.

Do it as a "record label" then sign some local underage bands (if ye have any) and therefore organise an event

But the only function room I know of is in a pub in Delgany (middle of nowhere compared to Greystones)

None in greystones no?

There's a decent sized scout den near the harbour that they rent out to groups sometimes but local residents complained about the noise the last time they had a mini music festival there and that was on a Saturday afternoon during the summer so I doubt we'd get it for halloween.

Give it a shot sure. Nothing to loose by asking I suppose...

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll find out about it anyway.

If the place says yes to ye organising it for there theres nothing the residents can do!

If the place says yes to ye organising it for there theres nothing the residents can do!
    Asked today and they said that because of the complaints last time they can't rent out the den for another gig :(

We need groups of 3 or 4 and there were a few of us in the business class with more or less the same idea but for different products so 4 of us got together and we're going to have a really random shop that sells cakes, smoothies, BLTs, bars, drinks (all of those depend on whether or not the owner of the canteen and vending machines objects...), picture frames, stationery and stickers (custom designs printed on vinyl). Gotta love that combo :D

Only problem is that it's impossible to sell anything in my school...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Xhristy wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    What did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭CiaraBelle

We used to do mini company, but then our school changed to NFTE. ITs like mini company, but it's less about the product you sell and more about "entrepeneurship". You get 35E per person on your company to start so you're willing to take more risks cos its not your money you're losing!!!!
    Havent any ideas though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

We made a magazine last year, got €3,500 from ads and sold half of the magazines but still ended up with about 100 bucks profit each. Good times. And organising gigs is class money, me and 2 of my friends did one in July and ended up with €400 each. Easy money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gamewise.ie

I did ty last year and we made a website giving game reviews and prices. i thought it was brilliant. its still live www.gamewise.ie .When making a mini company come up with something new if you want to win competitions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Out of curiosity, for the Transition Year Mini-Company Groups, are they chosen at random by the teacher(s) ahead of the project or can one choose their partners? Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gamewise.ie

It changes with every school. I was able to pick my group and I know other schools that are the same but some schools think it's better to mix people people up to let them know what a real work place is like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mad_hatter_xx

My group made a website (www.transitionyearhelp.com). Its basically a website that helps you organise your TY by listing work experience and community care places that are willing to take students. We got to the national finals with it and won a couple of prizes, it was good fun though (and its still up so if you're in ty i would recommend you use it, makes things so much easier :P)

Advertisement