Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you receive your free copy of the Rules of the Road?

Options
  • 05-09-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/Rules_of_the_Road.html
    EVERY HOUSEHOLD TO RECEIVE RULES OF THE ROAD

Over 1.75 million Free Copies Circulated Nationwide

4th September 2007

The Irish Insurance Federation (IIF) has sponsored the circulation of over 1.75 million copies of the Rules of the Road to every household in the country. This initiative supports the Road Safety Authority’s ongoing campaign to reduce the number of accidents, serious injuries and fatalities on the nation’s roads.

IIF Deputy President Mr Brendan Murphy commented " The IIF are delighted to sponsor this national distribution of the Rules of the Road. A few weeks ago we launched our research into driver behaviour and, although progress has been made, there is still a lot of work to do to change some people’s attitudes, bad habits and bad driving. Every home will now have a copy of the Rules of the Road and all motorists, whatever their experience or stage in their motoring career can now check or recheck the details of safe and legal driving behaviour and I would urge everyone to do so.

The introduction of Random Breath Testing combined with an increased enforcement effort from the Gardai is directly related to the decrease in fatalities on our roads. The simple deterrent of a visible Garda presence on our roads cannot be underestimated. I would urge Minister Dempsey and the Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan to direct both full-time and reserve Garda resources into road traffic law enforcement.

I would like to congratulate the Minister, his department, and the Road Safety Authority on the booklet. It is a comprehensive production and I would encourage people to read it.”

Minister for Transport Mr Noel Dempsey TD noted "The Irish Insurance Federation has been a valued contributor to Government policy on Road Safety in recent times and I am happy that this relationship is continuing. The research launched by the IIF in August revealed a heartening improvement in people's attitudes towards road safety. I would urge people to look through this booklet so that along with changing attitudes we can improve the knowledge and skill sets of driver's, young and old. We all have a responsibility to use our roads safely. I would like to congratulate all of the partners involved in this project particularly the Irish Insurance Federation, the Road Safety Authority, Future Print Ltd. and Door2Door Distributors."

Mr Gay Byrne, Chairman of the Road Safety Authority said: "On behalf of the Road Safety Authority I want to thank the Irish Insurance Federation for putting a copy of the Rules of the Road in every home in the country, all 1.76 million of them. It's now there for everyone to read. 'I didn't know' is no longer an excuse."

For further information:

Monina Mooney, Public Affairs Manager (Interim) Irish Insurance Federation – 087 7975633

For all queries regarding the national distribution of the Rules of the Road please contact Door2Door Distributors via Email helpdesk@door2door.ie with Subject Line : Rules of the Road or call their hotdesk @ LoCall 1890 240 240
    Door2Door Distributors, G12 Calmount park, Ballymount, Dublin 12

For all queries regarding the content of the Rules of the Road please contact the Road Safety Authority via EMail info@rsa.ie or alternatively on their LoCall number 1890 506 080
    Road Safety Authority, Government Offices, Ballina, Co. Mayo

Future Print, Future Print House, 25 Grange Parade, Baldoyle Industrial Estate, Dublin 13

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I received mine last week. Haven't read it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭fletch

yep....i got one in my rent accom and my family home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yep, got it last week.

Of no use whatsoever to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Nope, hasnt come through yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

Yep got mine a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

yeah, came with the phone books last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Ours arrived the day after we'd bought a copy for my daughter. Grrrr:(
    (It was on her transition year booklist)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Yeah, mine arrived last week - cracking good read !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah got mine today!
    bought the original back in march though!
    different books slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I flicked through mine when it came at the weekend.
    The penalty points chapter outlines the farce of the whole penalty points system - some more dangerous things get less points, some fines are higher for one point than for a two point offence, some two point fines are less than othe two point offences...

Also why is the tunnel stuff in the motorway section? of all the tunnels in the country, only one(well pair) is on a motorway.

And since when do Iarnrod Eireann do weather services? [pg196]

Good to see "Slow Lane Sign" makes an appearance [pg189]

There's a load of stuff about staying out of the blind spot of drivers, particularly HGV drivers. How in this day and age where we use systems developed for the apollo moon shots to cook rashers for a breakfast roll for health and safety reasons, are commercial vehicles allowed to drive over pedestrians and say "o I didn't see you, I'm too mean to buy a mirror to enable me to se in fromt of my vehicle and the govt are too spineless to insist on me having one"

Advice for cyclists "Make sure you keep to the left" the most dangerous position to be. [pg158]

Cycle Track Lights

text refers to a "light showing a figure of a cyclist" when the picture shows a figure of a bicycle, with no body [pg84]

"Handlebars should be ... level with the saddle" Why?
    "When on the saddle both feet should just touch the ground" Why?
    [pq156]

Bike helmets are a whole series of arguments I won't go into here except
    What standard of protection do bike helmet advocates think is appropriate for bike users? [pg157]

that'll do for now. I'm glad the insurance co.s here make as much profit as the entire british market so they can afford to give me this fine book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

got it about 2-3 weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nope but we dont need it in Cork...:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Nope nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Got ours this week. I'd bought a copy a few months ago, before I heard they were distributing them to all households.
    Also why is the tunnel stuff in the motorway section? of all the tunnels in the country, only one(well pair) is on a motorway.
    I think the underpass where the M9 joins the M7 is also marked as a tunnel. Obviously a short one, so most of the special rules of the road wouldn't be relevant. M11/M50 is a bridge, but I think the M7/M8 split will be a tunnel. Not sure about the M4/M6 (or N6).

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Yeh got it about a month ago in Carlow. I had bought it though when it first came out :mad:

fitzyshea wrote:
    Yeh got it about a month ago in Carlow. I had bought it though when it first came out :mad:

How much was it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yeah got mine today!
    The purchased one is much heavier and thicker and appears to be of a better quality. The Irish Insurance federation logo is not on the purchased one nor are the 12 insurance company logos on the rear cover or the message inside the front cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How much was it then?
    €4 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah got mine today!
    Do you just mean the cover and introduction or have you found more?

Certainly some spelling errors were carried over - "minimun".

€4 ;)

meh. That scuppers my ebay plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

jlang wrote:
    Got ours this week. I'd bought a copy a few months ago, before I heard they were distributing them to all households.

I think the underpass where the M9 joins the M7 is also marked as a tunnel. Obviously a short one, so most of the special rules of the road wouldn't be relevant. M11/M50 is a bridge, but I think the M7/M8 split will be a tunnel. Not sure about the M4/M6 (or N6).

Alright. I'm thinking about the N25 Tunnel under the River Lee or the Tunnel from Cork into Kerry above Glengarrif. Tunnels that actually go underground. A road over another road is a bridge really

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Alright. I'm thinking about the N25 Tunnel under the River Lee or the Tunnel from Cork into Kerry above Glengarrif. Tunnels that actually go underground. A road over another road is a bridge really
    there are at least 6 'old' road tunnels in Cork / Kerry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

In the ADS example for primary routes p188, there's a green N4 sign for the Maynooth interchange. This junctions actually on a motorway and the "real" sign on the ground is blue! And the junction number is wrong to (it says "5", this is currently junction 3, even when renumbered it will be Junction 7!)

I wouldn't mind - these are, after all, only samples - but the motorway example right beside it on the same page, for M7 J13, is identical to the actual sign on the real M7!!!

There's also a roundabout sign example with a patch for a motorway, but no chopsticks. Well, that happens in real life, but you think they might get the samples right...

In seriousness, its a big improvement on the previous edition, which had only a small amount of examples direction signs (some of which were actually pre-1970s signs!).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,816 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Got it about 3 weeks ago

Advertisement