Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gabrielle (7)

Options
  • 05-09-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭

This is something to watch and could develop rapidly like Felix during the week.

The computer models are all unanimous in developing 99L into a tropical storm. The preferred tracks are into North Carolina or South Carolina by Sunday or Monday. The HWRF, SHIPS, and GFDL intensity models are calling for a weak tropical storm, strong tropical storm, and Category 2 hurricane, respectively...

sep05.jpg

at200799_model.gif

Should be an interesting one to watch....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Very raggid at the moment.No storms flaring around the centre.For now that depression is totally sheared.But as you said things can become favourable quickly as of late.I agree an interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Havent seen this link posted, lotsa information about this storm here:

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic2/#

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Gonna be the next TD very soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

subtropical storm gabrielle is born.

Why it is called a subtropical
    Strong shearing winds overtop the system weakened on Friday, allowing for thunderstorms to become better organized. Despite this, the pressure has not been able to lower significantly and has remained rather broad and elongated. This, in combination with an upper circulation near the system has resulted in it being classified a subtropical storm, rather than a tropical storm at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

at200707_5day.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Snowbie wrote:
    Why it is called a subtropical
    As far as I know, tropical strictly refers to the areas within the tropics (Cancer, 23 degrees north, and Capricorn, 23 degrees south of the Equator). The fact that it lies outside the tropics probably explains why it's subtropical.

Just a guess ...

As far as I know, tropical strictly refers to the areas within the tropics (Cancer, 23 degrees north, and Capricorn, 23 degrees south of the Equator). The fact that it lies outside the tropics probably explains why it's subtropical.

Just a guess ...
    Yes thats true,but i was just explaining it here using an abstract from the experts in my post, why it is called a subtropical storm and not, why is it called a subtropical storm.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

D'oh :o

Advertisement