Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking - The Burren Way...

Options
  • 05-09-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hi a few of us are off to camp in Doolin this weekend and i'm trying to get some activites lined up (in case the surf is flat)..

Wouldnt mind doing some hill walking along the Burren, has anyone ever done this before? Do you have to go in a group or can you take a mapped route yourself?

In fact if you can suggest any activities over in Doolin, that would be great (I did the Allowee caves earlier in the summer - great expidition)..

Thanks,
    L_L.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There's great rock climbing and bouldering in doolin and further up the coast at alliadie - if you're not experienced though I'd pass on it. Burren Adventures are a scuba diving outfit run by a very nice couple. I've dived with them and can recommend them. They do a try-a-dive, which is probably a training class or two followed by a couple of nice shallow shore dives. It would be a great way to spend the day and there's loads of sea life in that part of the world.

*reads website*

Actually the try-a-dive is a PADI Discover scuba course and counts towards the Open Water diver qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Thanks Evil.

I'll pass that on to the gang and see if there are any takers. May look it up myself as its scheduled flat oceans this weekend

L_L

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Trip to the Aran Islands.. Probably better if the surf is flat!
    Fishing..
    Pitch and Putt.
    Cliffs of Moher.
    Hire Bikes. Cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

There is loads of caving in the area but you cannot just wander into a cave with a flashlight. That would be a very bad idea. There is pitch and putt down by O'Conners. If the Hydro is open Saturday that is an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There always the 'Drinking lots of pints in McGanns' option.

• Advertisement

aye, all great options.cheers..on the cave front - none of us have a notion about that sort of thing so will be geting the tour no doubt..I meant to say the Doolin cave.did that in July, pretty cool stalactites in there..

i reckon pitch putt, maybe surf, cave tour, bbq n beer, then for the evenings - Ireland in both sports on Sat and Sun.. Definitely 'loads of pints in McGanns' will be done. plus, 'have' to get up the burren for walk this time around though..

forecast outlook good, bring it on .. not your 'extreme outdoors' weekend but a bit of needed R n R none the less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

i was down there for two weeks last month climbing its a great place lovely scenery the drive from kimmage is long though had to do that myself:D

actually man, thats a good point..whats the best way to get there?
    i'm thinking out the n4/n6 towards galway and turn off at the n18 for limerick?

i ended up in ennis last time and went a long way round - feckin co pilots :rolleyes:

the first time i went down i went through limerick but unless you know limerick well id stay away and the traffic can be bad in limerick!

the best way i found was the n6 to athlone, to loughrea, to ennis than ennistimon to lehinch. i was staying in lehinch when i was down there but the galway way is defo quicker.

is it a team or something going down?

no, just a group of lads getting the last of the summer camps in b4 the weather 'changes' :D

Im going on my toblerone from work this evening, others are coming up from tralee and down from donegal - i just dont want 9pm darkness to hit and im scratching my head at some lay bye somwhere readin a map(i dont do the asking for directions thing)..

i think the galway route all the way to oranmore then south to lisdoonvarna and a few 'crow miles' from there should do it ;-)
    cheers.

• Advertisement

yeah that wouold be your best bet no need to go to ennis i only did cause i was going to lehinch but enjoy your weekend ..........youll find loads to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mrgalway

I tried to do the Burren way a few years back, but gale force winds by the Cliffs of Moher made me decide to bus it to Doolin instead.

If anyone is interested, the Turist Information shop in Lahinch has a nice little booklet for sale that has the route. This route takes you up the inland road after the bridge and before Liscannor, on to Doolin and on to Ballyvaughn.

The booklet I got in Galway takes you on the coast road past Liscannor, the Cliffs and then on to Doolin and then on to Ballyvaughn.

In nice weather, the coast trail would be the best but the road is pretty dangerous. The roads on the inlet route seem to be quiter until you get to Doolin.

Either way its a two day walk at about 15 miles a day with the mid point being Doolin.

Its a nice little trail.

Advertisement