Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maplin swiping card twice - Through a dodgy looking machine

Options
  • 05-09-2007 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭

I was in Maplin this morning, paid with a Laser card (And made sure to cover my hand when entering the PIN) but noticed that after the lad swiped the card through the machine, he also swiped it through a white little machine with an RS232 connection, with a 'Cipher Lab' label on it. I didn't think to question it because as soon as he swiped it the receipt came out of the till. I had a quick look behind the till and spotted that the RS232 cable seemed to go into the till.

I know I should have asked.. but can someone inform me/put my mind at ease?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

Just enables them to print the receipt. The till and 'pin' machine seem to be two seperate entities and dont communicate. Same thing in Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thought so alright just wasnt sure, cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Most credit card transactions go through certified dedicated chip and pin machines. But some shop EPOS systems have a facility to record the swipe details from your credit card so that it is linked to the transaction so that if you bring back an item for refund they can refund it to the card, or if you have an fault with an item later and need to bring it back under warranty they can locate the transaction by re-swiping your credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I used to work there and can confirm that the second machine is linked to our credit card cloning plant in taiwan

as people have said, the first is for the credit card machine and the second is for the till system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I used to work there and can confirm that the second machine is linked to our credit card cloning plant in taiwan

as people have said, the first is for the credit card machine and the second is for the till system
    You're so busted now letting the cat out of the bag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

what is it with maplins that they charge nearly 7euro for a catalogue so you can BUY FROM THEM !!!! OH AND DO YOU WISH TO JOIN OUR MAILING LIST ? NO TKS GO AWAY WITH EMPHASIS!!!
    ah feels better getting it off the chest

Advertisement