Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What glue for biscuit joints?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I am going to make up a counter top, using biscuit joints, for a unit I have in the shed. I made one up for another counter a few weeks ago and it worked out brilliantly. But you would have had a great laugh seeing my wife and I painting evo-stick furiously into the joints and timber surface with paint brushes onto 6 planks, rushing like mad before the glue would set before I could get the cramps onto them.

Anyway what glue would you use? I am also looking at these applicators:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Glue-Bottles-22118.htm

Regards,

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

For gluing wood based materials using regular compressed beech biscuits you must use a water based glue like PVA (Evostik Resin W or similiar). I find it gives sufficient open time and is easy to clean up when I use my biscuit jointer.

I've never used a proprietary applicator, I tend to use a child's paint brush and/ or a ice lolly stick. With any big glue-up you need to plan ahead anyway and it's always useful to have an extra pair of hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks Carpainter,

I have just ordered PVA glue from Axminster. I also ordered cramp heads from them which were very good value.

Anyway, it is all adding to my arsenal of woodworking bits & pieces - I should have taken up stamp collecting as a hobby instead !!

Regards,

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Yeah, probably couldn't cost you any more anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I was pricing PVA recently; anywhere between 20 euro and 30 euro per litre around Dublin for Evo Stik PVA ( retail),expensive enough eh?.By the way I have an Axminister GlueMaster, handy enough but I find the glue 'goes off' faster in it. I have a big glue up to do soon and I'm going to try a mini roller, you know the little 4'' rollers? I figure it will apply a fairly uniform coat over a big area fairly quickly.we'll see ;-)

Advertisement