Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If insurance is up to date but Tax not - are you still insured?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

I was talking to Carole Nash and they said ........ once the bike is road worthy and taxed ..........

Im thinking what the hell has road tax got to do with Insurance?
    Imagine tax was a week out of date and what ...... you are not insured?

Its not the case with me - but I want to know what the story on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It is nothing to do with your insurance company whether the bike is taxed or not. They will not deny you cover on an untaxed bike. The cops take a dim view if a bike is untaxed for a long period but a week - forgeddaboudit.

Carole Nash are flutes BTW.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's hugely unlikely, but check your documentation just in case. In any case, they would still be bound to pay out any third-party claims regardless of the tax status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

they sure are a shower of flutes (Carole Nash), however they are the only crowd that would insure two bikes on the one policy,quinn were that few quid cheaper but i needed to be able to insure the second bike, i aso dont think it makes any difference to your insurance if your bike isnt taxed, but from my experiance with garda check points, once the bike is taxed they never ask for proof of insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Spades wrote:
    they are the only crowd that would insure two bikes on the one policy...

I don't know your circumstances but I had a pair of CBR's insured in my AON policy for most of last year with a charge of €48 to add the second bike.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Spades wrote:
    they sure are a shower of flutes (Carole Nash), however they are the only crowd that would insure two bikes on the one policy,quinn were that few quid cheaper but i needed to be able to insure the second bike, i aso dont think it makes any difference to your insurance if your bike isnt taxed, but from my experiance with garda check points, once the bike is taxed they never ask for proof of insurance.
    Carole Nash will insure up to three bikes FOC on the one policy. If they ever bring in an NCT for bikes as they do in the UK it might open a loop hole for the insurance companies not to cover untested (untaxed) bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Road Tax has no bearing on the validity of your insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Carole Nash will insure up to three bikes FOC on the one policy. If they ever bring in an NCT for bikes as they do in the UK it might open a loop hole for the insurance companies not to cover untested (untaxed) bikes.

I don't think so, because you'd have to test it first, then tax it. So you could still be tested, insured, and not taxed.

As for CN - well they wanted over 1k to insure my H-D, and I've 20 yrs of claim free riding, whilst Aon did it for Eur396. And they insured my other bike, too. No contest. CN are as bad now as NU ever were.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

they can't turn down a claim if it's not taxed. they can only turn down a claim if a) your not insured for the cover or b) you told them incorrect information that was MATERIAL to the claim. If you told them you had full licence and you had prov. but ur bike got stolen I don't think that wouldnt even matter.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

You're insured, the tax thing is irrelevant no matter who the insurer is.

Advertisement