Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Pension

Options
  • 04-09-2007 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Does everyone get the state pension weather they have their own private pension or whatever their personal circumstances? My Gran claimed to me ther other night she doesnt get the state pension but she has her own one. I didnt think this should be the case. She isnt minted, but she isnt scraping the barrell either. She is 80 years old. IF she hasnt been claiming it can she start now (if she is entitled)??

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moving to State Benefits forum as it's probably more likely to get an answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Is it a contributory or non-contributory state pension?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Not sure...will find out tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Look up the Citizens Advice Bureau if you want more on this. The situation is as follows:- If a person worked most of their life and paid PRSI at the A1 rate, most private employment. They are entitled to a Contributory old Age Pension. This pension is paid based on your contribution record and the full rate is paid with an average of ( I think ) 44 contributions per year over your working life. Periods of unemplyment, sickness, disability etc are covered by notional contributions. Only if you leave the country, become self-employed without paying PRSI. or go studying for a long period in your adult life or leave to have a family do you incur problems with this system and a reduced rate applies.
    People with no money and who never had a job or PRSI payment record have to apply for a non-contributory pension. This is means tested and the procedure involves giving all your financial details to a Social Welfare Officer.
    Money in the Bank etc is presumed to make a certain level of interest and these notional levels are applied to reduce your pension by the ammount calculated by the officer even if you don't earn the interest on the money.
    Because the population of non contributories is falling the allowances in this are are increasing and the frequency of inspections is falling. It is mooted that means testing for the pension may be discontinued and this may allow OAP's to do a little extra work if they want to without losing some or all of their pension. I think they are already allowed to rent a portion of their house to outsiders without pension loss as this is seen as socially beneficial to both the OAP and the tenant.

Advertisement