Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does changing the hard disk on my laptop void my warranty

Options
  • 04-09-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I have a laptop that is still in warranty. It contains an 80 gb sata drive 2.5"

I want to upgrade the hard-drive.

I've been given a large quote of 100 euro to install a new hard drive as well as the price of the hard drive itself.

Does replacing the hard-drive myself instead of paying a technician to do the work void the warranty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It depends on the maker, few are that strict but if they are and the tech is not authorised by them it will void the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Indeed, some allow it, many won't, you'd have to ask them really or post up the make and maybe someone here knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The majority of laptop manufacturers will allow a change of hard drive without affecting the warranty.

If it's a Dell then there's no issue with swapping the hard drive. And carrying out the hardware part of the change is usually a few minutes work, as they provide full service manuals describing how to replace parts on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

its a compaq laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

do you know you'll have to do a full install after fitting the hard drive???

The shop were probally quoting for ghosting the system from the old hard drive onto the new hard drive, still over priced though.

But with the new hard drive, you'll have to ghost the old onto the new or else do a complete install of windows and then copy all your programs and files back over onto the new hard drive aswell

• Advertisement
Advertisement