Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dwarf Film

Options
  • 04-09-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I ran a search to see if this thread existed but couldn't find anything.

So what's the deal? Is there going to be a Red Dwarf flim or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

aodhu wrote:
    I ran a search to see if this thread existed but couldn't find anything.

So what's the deal? Is there going to be a Red Dwarf flim or not?

Prob not

Doug Naylor (now in sole control of the franchise following the departure of Rob Grant in 1995) is committed to writing and producing a feature film version of the sitcom. Naylor has also stated that he hopes one day to tie up the cliffhanger upon which the eighth series ended, perhaps with a one-off, feature-length television special although a ninth series has not been ruled out, depending on the success of the feature film.

Since the end of series Eight, Doug Naylor has been attempting to get funding to make a feature length film version of the show, but on every occasion so far has been thwarted by circumstances. He has long persisted with his conviction that the making of the movie (for which the script has been written for many years) takes precedence over any other possible future incarnation of Red Dwarf. On the series VIII DVD documentary The Tank, however, he admits to being — perhaps mindful of the age and schedules of the principal cast — close to having to make a final, outright decision of whether to continue to pursue the film, make a series IX or some one-off TV special(s) (as Only Fools & Horses did previously), or simply end the series as it is.

Naylor sent a letter to the Red Dwarf fans at DJ XI, which mostly consisted of his failed attempts to create the film, such as a fake Duke of Manchester sending forged money to fund the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Pissed of about this. I would like to see some sort of resolution to the final episodes cliffhanger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

it's a bit weird that they (BBC) aren't willing to do anything Red Dwarf. Especially considering the massive audiences it had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

yar, I would hazard a guess that they may just not like Red Dwarf at the BBC. Considering the fact that the programme commissioners hated sci fi and were non plussed by the idea for the show way back when it was being pitched. Although it wouldn't explain why that lame red dwarf imitation show was aired on bbc 2 recently. They may just want to put out new tv shows, the "moving forward" lark et al.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

rob grant was the talent behind red dwarf in my opinion. Have you read their individual novels? There is some difference!
    I wouldn't be too bothered about a film written by naylor alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

true that, the show lost a lot of the magic that it had up to series 6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Going by the books I would have said Naylor was the better of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Definitely grant imo: colony and incompetence are great books, and fat is quite good too.
    last human is really really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

Got to agree that Grant seems to be the better writer since the split.
    i've just finished Backwards and i laughed out loud all through it but i've since started Last Human and i'm not enjoying it as much.

glad to hear Colony recommended cos i'm reading that next. might just skip the rest of Last Human.

Cheers, marky

• Advertisement
Advertisement