Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Astra 1.8 Auto

Options
  • 04-09-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Guys;

I am going to view this car today

Any comments about it??

What should I ask about?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Year?
    Mileage ?
    Trim ?
    Model ?
    Accessories ?
    Petrol or Diesel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Year 2000
    Mileage 83k
    Trim???!!!
    Model Astra
    Petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ask to see the service history. Remove the auto gearbox dipstick. The oil should be red. If it's brown, or smells burnt, not worth the risk. Look under the regular oil filler cap and in the coolant reservoir bottle for 'mayonaisse' - usually indicates a head gasket problem. Look at all the shut lines for symmetry. Check gaps between wheels and arches are identical (both rear wheel gaps the same; ditto for front wheels). Look for overspray on rubber seals and in engine compartment and boot.

A 1.8 Astra with an autobox is probably not too much in demand - use this knowledge when making an offer/haggling.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Ask to see the service history. Remove the auto gearbox dipstick. The oil should be red. If it's brown, or smells burnt, not worth the risk. Look under the regular oil filler cap and in the coolant reservoir bottle for 'mayonaisse' - usually indicates a head gasket problem. Look at all the shut lines for symmetry. Check gaps between wheels and arches are identical (both rear wheel gaps the same; ditto for front wheels). Look for overspray on rubber seals and in engine compartment and boot.

Thanks for these usefull tips
    esel wrote:
    A 1.8 Astra with an autobox is probably not too much in demand - use this knowledge when making an offer/haggling.

and Why is that?? is it the spare parts issues?? or is there any specific issue with this Model??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

the head tends to go in the 98-04 astras about 80/90000 k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

and Why is that?? is it the spare parts issues?? or is there any specific issue with this Model??

No, it is because auto 'boxes aren't popular in that type of car. Most people would go with a manual 'box in an Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

the head tends to go in the 98-04 astras about 80/90000 k

Yes on the 1.4 petrol engine, not the other engines.

kluivert wrote:

so it is not on this Car

What about Petrol Consuming?? I am driving a Golf 1.6 Am I going to find a big different between the both cars??

In General Do u find the Opel Astra as a good choice??

mmalaka wrote:
    so it is not on this Car

What about Petrol Consuming?? I am driving a Golf 1.6 Am I going to find a big different between the both cars??

In General Do u find the Opel Astra as a good choice??

apart from niggly bits on my iold 1.4 which the gf has now, it's been grand once it has been serviced and looked after, timing belt changed ect..

kluivert wrote:

did the alternator ever give you bother with yours? it's just gone on my gf's at 136000 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

a 1.8 auto will be a killer on fuel particulary in heavy traffic. should be ok if used on non urban trips. the torque converter saps power and therefore fuel when used in stop start traffic but locks up when moving along persumably.
    the most important thing is that the autobox works properly. if it doesnt it will be upto 3000 euro to repair it, salvaged gearboxes are not commonly available.
    check the gears change SMOOTHLY with NO jerking or noise like grating when shifting and there is no slippage. then drive the car hard again checking gear change. press the accelerator all the way while driving to the floor and check if the kickdown works. also check reverse by driving a bit in that gear ensuring it doesnt slip. check if the gearbox fluid was changed at the recommended interval. if there is any doubt walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

dunno about the gearbox but the 1.8 engine is very good....the airflow meter tends to go in them but its oly a €40 quick fix. the 1.8 gives plenty of poke in a car its size

Guys;

I saw the car; it looks nice; the body is in good condition; interior is good; full service history with the dealer; the timing belt changed twice; last one was at about 60000 Miles; it is seems that the gear is ok the asking price is about 6200 Euro

what do u think??

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

6200 sounds a lot for a 00 Astra.

colm_mcm wrote:
    6200 sounds a lot for a 00 Astra.

How much do u think it should be ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

esel wrote:

Excellent advice. Also look for variations in colour between panels and look for paint texture differences too. Look for signs of masking around light fittings and window slot seals. Silly things, like running the back of your finger nails over the paintwork will tell you if the car has been recently polished - your nails will make apparent scratches on the paintwork if the car is overdue a polish - these marks will rub off. I much prefer to buy a car (and I mean a private sale) that looks like it was in everyday use rather than one that has been prepared for sale. Sparkling clean engine compartments are a real put off. Seeing a dust and dirt ridden engine is much better - any fluid leak will be instantly apparent.
    esel wrote:

Again - good advice. Autos in Ireland tend to fetch less. However, in a BMW 5/7 series, E/S-Class, A6/8, Lexus (3&4), Jag, etc an autobox is more desireable and as such tend to sell for more than the manual counterpart.

€4k max. I doubt the seller has many people interested.

colm_mcm wrote:
    €4k max. I doubt the seller has many people interested.

I'd say you're spot on. That size car in auto can be impossible to shift.

I know of 2004 Primera Autos (1.8 I think) going for €8k and still no one is biting on them.

same with almera 1.8 autos, saleproof.

colm_mcm wrote:
    same with almera 1.8 autos, saleproof.

It's easier to dispose of a Renault ;):D

• Advertisement

let's not go there!

Since Renault got their say in Nissan manufacturing, the Nissan brand has been slowly going downhill from a reliability perspective. But from a sales perspective they've been going downhill for a while. If I'm not mistaken, they are accelerating downhill at a rapid rate.

Sorry - off topic, I know - but...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

crosstownk wrote:
    Since Renault got their say in Nissan manufacturing, the Nissan brand has been slowly going downhill from a reliability perspective. But from a sales perspective they've been going downhill for a while. If I'm not mistaken, they are accelerating downhill at a rapid rate.

Sorry - off topic, I know - but...............

I also know this is offtopic, but why?

I mean the ordnary punter will never think/know that Renault and Nissan are part of the same company, so that cant be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

mmalaka wrote:

This doesn't seem to have been mentioned,but its because the engine is far too big for that kind of car for the Irish market(unless its diesel, which it's not), not by any other standard(its quite normal to see 1.8 Astras on the Continent, but here practically every Astra is a 1.4).

And because its an Automatic(as mentioned previously).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mmalaka wrote:
    I just reckon most people going for an Astra would be looking for a smaller engine - . It's amazing how people can be put off by the thought of paying an extra €100 or €200 per year road tax. Also, most punters are shy of auto boxes (the fools!). Unless a prospective buyer is specifically looking for an automatic, they will completely disregard any car with one.

As I said, if you are going to make an offer, use these facts to your advantage by offering well under the asking. Be prepared to walk away if the dealer baulks, but tell him to give you a bell if he changes his mind. You like the car, but 'are worried about the gearbox - you have been told they cost a fortune to repair/replace'. It's against your better judgement to buy one, but if the price was right....

The fact is that it's a buyer's market for automatics in this segment. Different story with executive cars though - almost the opposite applies.

Bear in mind that you will probably have difficulty selling/trading in the car in the future - any dealer will give you the 'engine size/auto box' argument in spades.

Not trying to put you off the car or the box - I've no experience with Opels/Vauxhalls - but I love (some) auto boxes!

Look the car up here as a Vauxhall Astra http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm

Also check prices on Autotrader (a post code for Newry is BT35 7NB, just go National for all cars, and specify Automatic. Probably some great deals there http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?state=block&make=&model=&min_pr=&max_pr=&postcode=BT35%207NB&nosearch=true

Then check VRT via http://www.ros.ie

Not your ornery onager

Reliability alone doesn't sell cars, customers look for safety and clever packaging - which Renault is very good at. Nissan's main selling points were it's reliability and inoffensive design, but without Renault's influence they would be behind on safety, diesel technology, and would be without versatile platforms to base new models on.

People seem to be in the know about the Nissan-Renault relationship, Nissan's commercial range seems to have highlighted it, along with Nissan badging their diesel engines Dci.
    A lot of customers I chat to about Nissans mention that they believe the newer models aren't as reliable as the older generations, particularly Almeras and Micras.

E92 wrote:
    I also know this is offtopic, but why?

I mean the ordnary punter will never think/know that Renault and Nissan are part of the same company, so that cant be it.

The trade knows. If a car is undesirable on the forecourt, then the trader/dealer will look for less money in order shift the stock on. But the next time the same make and model comes in, he will offer less as a trade in because he knows it will fetch less. Ultimately, it reflects buyer demand.

Nissan's recent 'bland' designs have led to the brand becoming undesireable. The 'Renault' factor is slowly creeping into the positive reliability rating that Nissan used to have. Alfa suffered the same fate, as have Renault. VW are not the reliable brand that they are perceived to be, MB likewise. Believe me, people who buy and sell cars for a living DO know what is a good car and what is potentially bad car - and the price that they are willing to pay reflects this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.8 litre auto Astra is very rare, most auto Astras here are 1.6 litre. Is it an Irish Opel Astra or UK Vauxhall Astra? I would put money on it being a Vauxhall. Vauxhalls tend to be worth alot less than Opels despite wearing different badges.

€6,200 is seriously overpriced for one, even high spec 1.4 litre Astras which are more desireable are not fetching that sort of money.

bazz26 wrote:
    1.8 litre auto Astra is very rare, most auto Astras here are 1.6 litre. Is it an Irish Opel Astra or UK Vauxhall Astra? I would put money on it being a Vauxhall. Vauxhalls tend to be worth alot less than Opels despite wearing different badges.

It is UK Vauxhall Astra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

mmalaka wrote:
    It is UK Vauxhall Astra

For a 00 thats huge money. Offer 2,800 for it, go as far as 3100, 3200 at a push. Leave it go after that. Seriously, pay more and you getting ripped off. Theres loads of second hand cars around at the moment !

Advertisement