Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know anywhere I can camp in Dublin, or reachable by Dublin Bus?

Options
  • 04-09-2007 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I would like to go camping this weekend. Nothing fancy, just an excuse to sleep in a tent and make toast over a fire.

I vaguely remember camping near Marlay Park when I was a kid. Does that place still exist?

Do any of you know anywhere safe I can camp in Dublin, or close to Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Larch Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Larch hill is for Scouts and Guides only.

I would suggest trying cavan and camping sites in the likes of rush and donabate.

http://www.northbeach.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

That's the one.

Cead Mile Go Raibh Maith Agats!

EDIT: Damn, for Scouts only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Isn't there one just off the N7 just past the Green Isle hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Isn't there one just off the N7 just past the Green Isle hotel?

Camac Valley Tourist Caravan & Camping Park

Naas Road, Clondalkin, Dublin 22

Newest carvan and camping park, located on the N7 just 35 minutes from central Dublin. Excellent facilities and pleasant surroundings, ideal choice for families and backpackers. Open all year. Family rate per night (2 adults and 2 children) caravans/tent/motor home: from €20-€22 + electricity. Backpackers: from €9-€10 per person. Other conditions apply.

http://www.camacvalley.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lord Massey's.

Look it up, great camping spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Haha, I know what you're up to......trying to get your Gaisce award book filled up in a hurry! Am I right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

you could go to blessington. the bus leaves you in the village then take a walk around the lake some good spots there

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Isn't there a place in Shankill?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

chef wrote:
    Camac Valley Tourist Caravan & Camping Park

Naas Road, Clondalkin, Dublin 22

Newest carvan and camping park, located on the N7 just 35 minutes from central Dublin. Excellent facilities and pleasant surroundings, ideal choice for families and backpackers. Open all year. Family rate per night (2 adults and 2 children) caravans/tent/motor home: from €20-€22 + electricity. Backpackers: from €9-€10 per person. Other conditions apply.

http://www.camacvalley.com

69 bus goes right past this OP. This is right by the N7 though. Not exactly away from it all.
    the hunter wrote:
    you could go to Blessington. the bus leaves you in the village then take a walk around the lake some good spots there

Used to camp around the lakes as a kid. 65 is the bus for here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

dublindude wrote:
    Thanks

I hear roundabouts on the M50 are a popular spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

dublindude wrote:
    Hello

I would like to go camping this weekend. Nothing fancy, just an excuse to sleep in a tent and make toast over a fire.

I vaguely remember camping near Marlay Park when I was a kid. Does that place still exist?

Thanks

Marlay is huge, dunno if its locked at night.

Have to be honest i wouldnt camp outdoors anywhere in this country within 4 miles of any grouped housing if you paid me. drunk wandering kids+finding tent+matches= looking like that British army lad who nearly died in the Falklands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yip - don't go wild camping anywhere near a bus route

IIRC some eastern europeans camping in the Phoenix park a couple of years ago, who got attacked, did one get killed ?

http://www.iol.ie/~discover/camping.htm
    Dublin

North Beach (Rush) Credit Cards: No Tel 01 843 7131 Fax 843 7131
    Directions: (27kms NE at Rush) 64 Units Parking

Price range: EUR 3.81-6.35

Shankill

Shankill (Shankill, Co Dublin) Credit Cards: No Tel 01 282 0011
    Directions: (Take N11/M11 to Shankill. Exit on N11/M11 roundabout. Follow signs for R119 Shankill. Location 3kms N of Bray and 16kms S of Dublin) 82 Units Parking

Price range: EUR 6.35-7.62

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/wicklow/wicklow.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ballymun. Take the 13 or 13A from Westmoreland Street and head for Poppintree Park. There's a Eurospar and a curry shop nearby too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinker

i hear the george is good....fnar fnar..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

IIRC some eastern europeans camping in the Phoenix park a couple of years ago, who got attacked, did one get killed ?
    http://www.emigrant.ie/article.asp?iCategoryID=200&iArticleID=58486
    - The apparent murder of a 26-year-old German man in a tent in the Phoenix Park came two days after the announcement that crimes against tourists were down on previous years in the Dublin area. The man and a companion were asleep in their tent when they were set upon by up to four men who beat them with clubs. The dead man suffered severe head injuries. His companion feigned unconsciousness and was tied up. He was admitted to hospital after raising the alarm. This crime has shocked public opinion here and there were many calls to the German embassy in the aftermath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The one in Shankill is closed now. They built a lot of apartments on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Dublin
    North Beach (Rush) Credit Cards: No Tel 01 843 7131 Fax 843 7131
    Directions: (27kms NE at Rush) 64 Units Parking
    Price range: EUR 3.81-6.35

Was going to post this one.
    33 bus from Abbey Street if you're going by bus. Bus passes by the end of Kilbush lane. Less than 5 mins walk from bus stop beside village, shops, restaurants & pubs.
    Train from City Centre to Rush & Lusk station but you'd need to get taxi from station, about €7-8
    By road, head up M1, pass airport, pass Swords, take next exit and head right on onl N1. Turn right al Blakes Cross (esso station) and follow signs to Rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

A Bus Eirinn bus goes out to a camping spot in Rathdrum in Wicklow, a good spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Get a bus to eniskerry, walk for bout half hour til u find a coillte forest n set up wherever you want. have a look at sheet 56 of the OS maps if you want a lil bit more detail on that.

Advertisement