Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Classical Music Group

Options
  • 03-09-2007 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hey everyone, competent classical guitarist here looking for like minded musicians and composers to form a group. My reasons are extensive; not least being my desire to work with people who share my passion( I don't know anyone who I can play with/compose with). Looking for any type of instrumentalist( strings, winds,brass etc) to meet fairly regularly. I can't find any such group in Dublin. Anyway post or pm me if this in anyway intyerests you or you have any suggestions.....

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm a very rusty clarinet player, not played for about 3/4 years now. I'm also a soprano, maybe I could sing the clarinet line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Similarly rusty piano player. Bit of a dab at arrangement, I like to think!

Also dissapointed with the lack of groups in Dublin. Well up for it tbh.

Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Look up the Greystones Orchestra.Several of their members are always keen to meet up for a classical "Jam" session (awful choice of words!).

Amateur music making is always a very rewarding and fun experience, but at the risk that there be too many pianists, I'll stay out of it unless its an emergency! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 paul mccarthy

I'm a very rusty clarinet player, not played for about 3/4 years now. I'm also a soprano, maybe I could sing the clarinet line :)

Why not do both?! Start playing! Thats one wind instrument anyway,It'll be interesting to see where this goes

banquo wrote:
    Similarly rusty piano player. Bit of a dab at arrangement, I like to think!

Also dissapointed with the lack of groups in Dublin. Well up for it tbh.

Anyone else?

Excellent,piano+clarinet+guitar. Any violin,violas,violoncello's etc. interested?
    There must be lots-we can't be the only ones!
    (what does "tbh" mean?)

• Advertisement

You can put up fliers in a few music shops, there are lots of people who would be interested, I bet.

tbh =to be honest

Oh right, I'll do that, I'm free tommorrow so I'll get on to it,tbs (to be sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Another pianist here. Also organist and harpsichordist (allegedly). Also a rusty bass (LOL), so I can do some down-in-your-boots singing if required. Where are you all based? North Dublin general area here, Swords but sometimes Drumcondra area.

I'm southside based, close enough to the centre but have a car so could travel (possibly car pool with others?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Excellent,piano+clarinet+guitar. Any violin,violas,violoncello's etc. interested?
    There must be lots-we can't be the only ones!
    (what does "tbh" mean?)

Alas, this forum is exceptionally quiet...

You seem to have quite enough piano players, and I won't be in the right end of the country most of the time, so I won't volunteer my services as a performer.

However, if you're interested in having a piece written for the group (by someone other than yourself) when you get it up and going, let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I can sing and play open-string violin :p

(I've only had a couple of violin lessons!)

*Okay, so I think we have 2 pianist(!), a clarinet player, guitar, violinist and a budding composer...I'm trying to picture writing a score for that-certainly different.
    *As for location, I can travel throughout the Dublin area, but I think we should make it as central as possible.
    *Oh and it doesn't really matter if your not that good, I deliberately put amateur in the title for that. This sort of thing can be intimidating but its about having fun and learning( There's no way to write that without it sounding corny).
    *I think it would be great if we got even more people involved, but I think that might follow as we get started, so I'll keep you all updated

As for location

Look at Schools - they have rooms/halls with pianos and they usually allow people to use the facilities for next to nothing! Same RE churches... PM me if you are stuck for venues.

I'm organist in a church in Clontarf, and I'd say they might allow the building to be used if I asked nicely. There's a piano and a large organ (not much use for ensemble playing. alas) and a good bit of space.

Same regarding piano circle Pianist2891, but the piano's not very good.

David, the clontarf idea sounds good for the classical group meet up.

For piano circle, quality of piano is important, so I'm trying to book a suitable venue (more in the next email circulation!) otherwise, we will resort to my insanely cramped living room with two pianos and no room for half a cat!

What's the piano circle? The church idea sounds good, I teach in Contarf as well so it might work out handy for me, but what about everyone else?

Paul, there is a thread on the Piano Circle on the classical forum. Just an idea that anyone who plays the piano whether amateur, student, adult pianist, advanced pianist can meet once every few months with a view of performing a piece or two for the other members of the group, so that they can gain some insight into performance and minimize the nerves etc.

All thebest with this idea, sounds like it will be wonderful!

Pianist2891, I was thinking that about the piano, but if we were stuck I could try to arrange a better one somehow! But the classical group might be suited to the church. If there is a lot of interest I could suggest it to the church. I've been there almost two years and they know me well, so I'm sure they'd have no problem allowing me to use it, considering I already have keys to the church for my own use.

well I could probably arrange something with my local parish hall (to which I already have keys) it has a very old piano that may not be tuned but I could rustle up a keyboard, but it does have a lot of space.

It's in Rathgar.

tsubh is the rathgar church the Grosvenor one?? They have a new upright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ooh I used to do piano in their and we'd have recitals in the hall, it'd be quite good for the group I'd say.

tsubh is the rathgar church the Grosvenor one?? They have a new upright!
    Afraid not, it's Zion up near High School.

Nice hall but I don't think the piano is up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I could probably get permission for one of the classrooms with a good piano here in NUIM, just stack the chairs and tables up. Certainly room for 20 people.

Advertisement