Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop broken!

Options
  • 03-09-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, just lookin for a bit of advice really.

Bought my laptop in Dixons in March.
    Since then it has been freezing and 'not responding' a lot and now its seems like the CD drive is broken. Computer wont even recognise that there is a cd drive.

It is under warranty so planning to bring it back to the shop on Wed but just wondering what I am entitled to?? Can I get a refund or replacement or do they just have to do a repair?

Would appreciate any info, thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Repair first and if after 3 failed attempts at repairs you can look for a replacement/refund!! I would imagine a refund is out of question though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Because it is under warranty you are entitled to one of the 3 R's: Repair, Replace, Refund...

Normally they'll try to repair it first, if that doesn't work, you're entitled to a replacement or refund...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Have you tried formatting (IE fully wiping the pc), My m8s dell went like that all crazy due to opening msn viruses and also had optical drive problems, format took care of it!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

yoyo wrote:
    Have you tried formatting (IE fully wiping the pc), My m8s dell went like that all crazy due to opening msn viruses and also had optical drive problems, format took care of it!

Nick

I would strongly discourage you from doing this. All Dixon's have to say now is that you messed it up.

Bring it back.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you not entitled to re load the OS on your own machine? That sounds quite harsh but anyways best take Tom Dunnes advice as I am unsure,

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

yoyo wrote:
    Are you not entitled to re load the OS on your own machine?

Say you bought a washing machine. It rattled, so you took it apart to see where the rattle was. You put it back together, but it still rattles. The retailer asks if there were any problems, you tell him what you did. Why should he believe the rattle was there before you took it apart? Even if you didn't tell him, he could probably see from screws or seals broken that you did go at it with a screw driver.

So what's to say you didn't cause the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Usually in these places they actually insist that you reinstall the OS to see if the problem still occurs. It doesn't matter what it is generally, they still ask you to. I had a glaringly obvious hardware problem with a laptop before in PC World and it took five or six trips before they eventually accepted it back...and that was only under some imtimidating threats (not ones of violence but legal action and such).

Try reinstalling the OS from a partition if there is one, that way it'll be restored to the day you bought it with all the correct drivers and software installed - they couldn't possibly find any fault in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Say you bought a washing machine. It rattled, so you took it apart to see where the rattle was.
    If he were to try and repair the cd drive i'd agree with you but re-installing the OS is hardly taking the machine apart or doing anything that you shouldnt be doing.

Bring it back and see what they say however is the best course of action for now.

Advertisement