Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Laptop in US. Will it work?

Options
  • 03-09-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all.

I was thinking of buying a laptop in while in Florida in a couple of weeks and just want to know is it possible?
    Would i need some adapter due to the difference in the voltage ratings?

Something similar to this..

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5978905

Any help would be great, Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi all.

I was thinking of buying a laptop in while in Florida in a couple of weeks and just want to know is it possible?
    Would i need some adapter due to the difference in the voltage ratings?

If you think about it, laptops are by their nature portable. All laptops have dual voltage supplies, so you will be fine. The only difference will be the shape of the plug. When you get home, cut off the American plug and put on an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icemanjimbo04

Yea makes sence i guess.
    Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks a mill.

Just have to find me a nice one now.

Cheers :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ok this may sound stupid,but its a question i've wanted answered for some time now,do pc games brought in america work on pcs or laptops brought in europe?because if theres no difference I was thinking of ordering crysis and company of heros opposing fronts when they came out over there as it will be some time before they come out over here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ok this may sound stupid,but its a question i've wanted answered for some time now,do pc games brought in america work on pcs or laptops brought in europe?because if theres no difference I was thinking of ordering crysis and company of heros opposing fronts when they came out over there as it will be some time before they come out over here :(

Put it this way, have you ever heard of a US Version of Windows, or a European Version? :D

There is the whole language and keyboard layout thing, but there is no such region-locking on the operating system. There is, of course, on DVD drives, but that's only for films.

So yes, games purchased over there will work over here.

Next question, please.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

icemanjimbo04

I purchased a laptop last year while in Florida, the only negative point was the AC plug. The transformer is 100-260 V so it is no problems and with a cheap adapter it worked fine.

Difference in price Ire v USA was about 20% and they are higher specs over there also. Have a look for managers end of lines, great savings to be had. Walmark are now selling Dell laptops in their shops but there is plenty of other shops which offer savings.

Dont forget, the shops are air conditioned and will be a welcome relief between 1 and 3 in the afternoon....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

tom dunne wrote:
    Put it this way, have you ever heard of a US Version of Windows, or a European Version? :D

There is the whole language and keyboard layout thing, but there is no such region-locking on the operating system. There is, of course, on DVD drives, but that's only for films.

So yes, games purchased over there will work over here.

Next question, please.:)

cool :)

Advertisement