Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a passport quickly

Options
  • 03-09-2007 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Ive just realised my passport is out of date and I might be going away Saturday week (or not as the case may be)

What are my chances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I got one in about a day from a friend working in the passport office, but if you don't have contacts like that, you can apply in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ive just realised my passport is out of date and I might be going away Saturday week (or not as the case may be)

What are my chances?

Call in to the passport office. They have a quick service. Cost you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Go into the passport office with your ticket and be prepared to pay the extra and wait for your passport.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

Ring them and find out the proceedures and extra costs.

Contacting the Passport Office

Dublin
    Enquiries -Tel. 01 671 1633 or LoCall 1890 426 888. Fax 01 671 1092
    Enquiries -If telephoning from Northern Ireland - LoCall 0845 8504321
    24-hour Recorded information Service - Lo Call 1890 426 800 or 01 679 7600.
    To email PPO Dublin, please click this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Brown_Eyed_Girl

I applied at the post office last week and got my new passport back within 5 days .................... thought they do tell you to allow 10 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Rosita

What are my chances?

You'll be fine but do something about it today or tomorrow. They'll ask when you need it for and you'll probably be collecting it on the day before you travel. The need for a personal appearance at the passport office goes without saying. You may also need some proof or travel for the passport office so if you have not booked anything yet bear that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Im selling mine on E-bay if your interested :D

Linkey ;)

Yes go through the post office route its the easiest and quickest way

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, there's an "emergency" service in the passport office. You basically take an entire day off work, and spend the bulk of your morning sitting in the office waiting for them to make one for you.

The link that Thaedydal gave has all the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Da Funky Munky

I havent actually booked the holiday yet, last minute thing - will that make a difference?

Thanks for info/numbers etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

I'm not sure but I think if you do the passport express it doesn't matter, but if you're going into the passport office to try and get one within a day you'll need proof of travel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Rosita

I know someone who had to recently get a new passport for a child (under new legislation a new passport for a child cannot be done on the parent's one, they must have a separate one) and even though there was a week to go before travel they needed proof of travel.

So even at this stage, lack of proof of travel might be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Slightly related, anyone have an idea of how far up the creek you are if you lose it while abroad? Headin on a mad one to Prague for the match but Im a bit paro about losing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you travel in the EU, you can get away with an out of date one, as you technically don't need it.

Worth checking with the airline first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use crayons to make a crude likeness of a passport and just wing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

shane86 wrote:
    Slightly related, anyone have an idea of how far up the creek you are if you lose it while abroad? Headin on a mad one to Prague for the match but Im a bit paro about losing it.

it's hassle you don't need, but it's not the end of the world. Get a safety deposit box if there's not one in the room already, and chuck it in as soon as you get to the room. Don't touch it till you're leaving for the airport and never use it as ID. Having copies of it would be handy, and make sure you know the number.

OP, you'll need proof of travel, but could you get a letter from your job maybe? Get them to say that they are waiting for customer approval before they can issue the tickets, but you'll have to go on short notice when the approval comes.

Advertisement