Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloading Music

Options
  • 03-09-2007 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,
    Not sure where to post this one so apologies if this is the incorrect forum.

I'm just wondering what the laws are in Ireland about downloading MP3s from the internet, file sharing programs.

I know the law varies from country to country and was looking for a document online to show the nitty gritty about what legal and illegal.
    I can't seem to find anything concrete on google.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think you will find that if your are downloading music for free which normally costs money elsewhere you are doing something wrong/illegal.

Not rocket science really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭samelterrance

Hagar wrote:
    I think you will find that if your are downloading music for free which normally costs money elsewhere you are doing something wrong/illegal.

Not rocket science really.

True, but apparantely there are some cases where it's ok. That's why I would like to know the exact details on the subject should anyone know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

If the music is copyright, then it's illegal to just download it.

There are some bands that release music free to download, but very very few and they're generally not with big labels.

Advertisement