Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi room audio

Options
  • 02-09-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,
    I am looking for advice on buying mutli room aplifier and room controls that i could set up myself.
    What i want is an amplifier with a build in hard drive that i can store my music on and then in several rooms have a controller on the wall where i can choose what music i want to listen to. I have seen a few wireless type systems but i would prefer a wired system.
    I would prefer not to call in one of the many comoanies that will set up such a system for you as they charge a fortune.

has anyone set up such a system themselves and if so what system did you buy??

If the amplifier also had a radio option also available it would be even better.

thanks

Jon

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

On the wall control side, what functions are you looking for to access the audio server?
    Are you looking to operate it blind ie hard buttons only
    Are you looking to operate it with limited information on the wall panel such as current track playing and limited browse
    or are you looking to view and control all functions of the server via touchscreen panel.

alternatively would you be willing to operate and control the system via TV display and remote control in each room (even with a combination of the above methods)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jonsynnott

Hi Conax,

What i would be hoping to control in the wall panel would be similar to the controls on an MP3 player,
    source - radio or MP3 from amp
    song/ album/ artist etc
    volume
    Eq Nice but not essential

i would be happy to control it with the buttons, but would also look at a wall panel that could be controlled by Remote control if reasonably priced.

Dont think i'd go the path of having a tv in each room,

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Homer

Based on your comments I would say sonos (www.sonos.com) with a networked hard drive (NAS) to store all your music, would do the job perfectly. Hand held colour controller that can also wall mounted in its cradle when not being used. Controller gives you all the info you are looking for. It has internet radio and will deliver nearly all Irish radio stations and has a line in as well for an external source (i.e. sky/dvd player/etc)

Cheers Industria,

I was actually looking at the Sonos but it was the wireless aspect that i was not sure about, in relation to sound quality and interference?
    Has anyone tried this system and can vouch for the sound quality?

It is good that it runs off a NAS, can the NAS connect directly into the main Sonos Controller without the need for a computer?

It is handy that you can expand as required but the controllers are very expensive if you want one in every room.

still worth a serious look though.

cheers
    JOn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

yep, i had assumed that you had looked at the Sonos system,as you didnt want a wireless system (there aint that many around) there is no problem with interference that I have come across, audio quality is excellent and it very simple to set up and use.
    However click here and see about connecting it to either this or if you want touchscreen wall control of all functions including album art etc and you have a few Euro to spare connect to the SPL64v here
    both of the above systems operate multisource/multiroom with video switching of sources.
    However I would add that the xantech system does require a little bit of programming to work with the server the opus system like the sonos requires a PC to set up, but its just loading files no big problem.

• Advertisement

Conax,

Thanks a mill for that, it is exactly what i was looking for. All i need to do now is start saving.

cheers again

Jon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if i remember correctly, sonos rrequires software running on the nas,and not all nas can run it, which limits your choices of nas you can use it with it.

Advertisement