Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best firm to train with?

Options
  • 02-09-2007 7:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

So as I enter the final year of my accounting degree (a/c and hrm in NCI) I'm faced with the daunting task of deciding where to spend the next 4 years...

I spent the summer working in Anglo Irish Bank's Finance Department and it was a really challenging and rewarding experience. So crazy as it might seem, I'm actually looking forward to finishing college and getting out there and working with the challenges of training to be an accountant (I dare not say ACA/ACCA/chartered/certified :P).

The big question is tho... who's the best firm to train with? (assuming I have the choice of anyone I want, any ideas how likely that is??)

Right now I'm leaning towards KPMG. From everything I've heard they seem like a great group with a really good culture. PWC on the other hand seem kind of.. umm... abbrasive? (a quote from their site; Do your homework It is important that before you apply, you need to be sure that you want a career at PwC. By the time we meet you, we expect you to be able to talk about the world of professional services and the business sectors in which we operate. So be honest – ask yourself, are you genuinely interested in what we do? If the answer is yes, then apply.)

I understand some of you might not want to say who you're currently working with or where you trained.. but there's nothing to stop you talking in the *ahem* third person. Or you could just PM me too.

Thanks in advance all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lochie

sorry to hijack your thread but my bro is starting college in NCI doing Accounting and HRM next week, any tips to share? He is staying on campus for the first year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

while the name on ur cv does make a difference initially, at the end of the day it is ur ability that will make u stand out from ur peers.
    Dont lose sight of developing ur interpersonal skills and if u can perfect the skill of working with, and managing people u dont like then u will do well and go far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

lochie wrote:
    sorry to hijack your thread but my bro is starting college in NCI doing Accounting and HRM next week, any tips to share? He is staying on campus for the first year...

Ummm depending on who he gets for Financial Accounting One and Two he may have to do ALOT of extra work outside of lectures if he has any hope of doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Heh, if we're not careful this may become another variation of the "ACA / ACCA" thread.

PS. Go KPMG! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Deloitte are a really good company to work for and I think that they have fostered an open and comfortable working environment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

We head PWC's graduate recruiter in just before the end of my spring semester. He gave me a good impression of the company, seemed like a top bloke and really laid back. It probably helped that my f.a lecture and he were best mates, I intend on applying for PWC and more than likely KPMG/Simpson Xavier.

I'm debating whether or not to apply for small-mid sized firms. Generally I'm led to believe you're a more rounded accountant* if you work in the smaller firms but you lack the experience of working with big clients, then there's the contact/networking advantage within the big 4.

*may not be true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Unfortunately as most people are probably on their work e-mail's it's going to be hard to have anyone criticise their work place.

I'm in a big 4 and it's a great place to workI'm not going to post which one. pm me if you want the lowdown though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Ok hmm

Advertisement