Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cops seek 179mph net vid biker

Options
  • 02-09-2007 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Police would very much like to speak to a biker who filmed himself apparently gunning it at 179mph on a "dangerous stretch" of the A628 Woodhead Pass in South Yorkshire, the Daily Mirror reports.

The two-wheel speed merchant subsequently appeared in an incriminating video on LiveLeak UK, reportedly racing another bike while capturing the speedo on camera.

Police said: "This is absurdly dangerous. We'll seek to identify those involved and prosecute."

If the speedometer evidence proves to be correct, then it's "the fastest recorded on a British road", as the Mirror puts it, and breaks the previous record held by a London man who this month pleaded guilty to driving a Porsche 911 at 172mph on the A420 in Oxfordshire. ®

Lunatic. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

pid() wrote:
    Lunatic. :eek:
    crazy...but i tell ye...
    once i was going at 80 mph at M1 and a biker crossed me like i was pushing a cart..he must have been at 120-130 mph..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

confuzed wrote:
    crazy...but i tell ye...
    once i was going at 80 mph at M1 and a biker crossed me like i was pushing a cart..he must have been at 120-130 mph..

Yeah I've seen that kind of thing as well. I was doing 150kmph and a bike passed me as if I was doing 60. After about 10 seconds I couldn't see it anymore and we were on a fairly long stretch of road. Bikes scare the hell out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Most I've done on a bike was just over 170 mph on a CBR1000F a few year's back. But normally most I'd be driving is 120-150mph.

On the same stretch of the M50 which I got 170mph from the CBR I got my Alfa Romeo 156 to just 130pmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Mairt wrote:
    Most I've done on a bike was just over 170 mph on a CBR1000F a few year's back. But normally most I'd be driving is 120-150mph.

On the same stretch of the M50 which I got 170mph from the CBR I got my Alfa Romeo 156 to just 130pmh.

hopefully you get your license revoked before you kill someone eh? seriously though - are you not afraid of that happening like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Mairt wrote:

That's a nice bike. A mate of mine bought a GSX1300R recently. He's going to kill himself on it I'm sure. It really is too powerful. 170mph is madness! The fastest I've ever driven at was 154mph in a rented Lexus a few years ago. Going at that speed in a car is one thing, but on a bike! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

pid() wrote:
    The fastest I've ever driven at was 154mph in a rented Lexus a few years ago. Going at that speed in a car is one thing, but on a bike! :eek:

you can rent a car but not a life...

for me even 154mph (not kmph) is crazy...and 170mph is madness..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

odonnell wrote:
    hopefully you get your license revoked before you kill someone eh? seriously though - are you not afraid of that happening like?
    The person most likely to die from speeding on a bike is the rider, your not going to come across that many pedestrians on the M50.

odonnell wrote:

Actually I'm driving 22 yrs accident, claims & conviction free :D

But sadly ol'age has caught up with me. The bikes are all gone, and the Alfa has been replaced by something more sensible too.

As regards being frightened on the bike, no. Back in the 80's I'd two year's road and short circuit racing too.

These days when I see boy racer's I snap, its crazy and I'm delighted to have gotten away with those things.

***But!!!. Even these days I can't take a mates bike for a little spin without pulling a nice wheelie or two just to get that old buzz back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

robinph wrote:
    The person most likely to die from speeding on a bike is the rider, your not going to come across that many pedestrians on the M50.
    Most likely, yes. But this is not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mairt wrote:

As regards being frightened on the bike, no. Back in the 80's I'd two year's road and short circuit racing too.
    ***But!!!. Even these days I can't take a mates bike for a little spin without pulling a nice wheelie or two just to get that old buzz back again.
    I wasn't frightened of the bike either, until some fu*kwit hit me one night 'cause his brakes weren't functional. Haven't been on a bike since and I'm still suffering as a result of it over 8 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Mairt wrote:

Yeah, thats something to brag about - this country needs more like you.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Jesus, please tell me you really don't go those speeds. This is why maniacs on motorbikes scare the bejesus out of me. I drive a banger of a nissan micra, if you go above 120kph bits start flying off her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

Mairt wrote:

But sadly ol'age has caught up with me. The bikes are all gone, and the Alfa has been replaced by something more sensible too.

These days when I see boy racer's I snap, its crazy and I'm delighted to have gotten away with those things.

fair play mate like... i know some amazing drivers who, whilst im in their cars, i trust not to harm anyone because like yourself, they have gone 15 years accident free and generally are the ones reacting to idiots on the road who genuinely shouldnt be there! Id far rather it was them doing the speeding a'la autobhan style and being capable of doing so without harming anyone - but too often these days its the tubes with a provisional who think the roads are for thrills and risk....

but yeh...whats a fireblade without the odd burn, that i understand.

gyppo wrote:
    Yeah, thats something to brag about - this country needs more like you.:rolleyes:

Blah, blah, blah...

Wanna hear another crazy one..

Well we used to drag race in the Phoenix Park (Dublin) at night with our lights out, first one to bottle it and switch on his light lost.

But that was when I was driving a Yamaha RD500YPVS (mid 80's 2 stroke V4 crazy bastard).

Oh they were the days indeed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

if you are gonna post a story like this at least post a link to the vid

MooseJam wrote:
    if you are gonna post a story like this at least post a link to the vid

LOL, Vids those days were carried on the backs on 40ft trucks!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Mairt wrote:
    LOL, Vids those days were carried on the backs on 40ft trucks!.

say what ? vids what days ? I've no idea what that meant

MooseJam wrote:
    say what ? vids what days ? I've no idea what that meant

THat was in the mid 80's!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Binomate wrote:

Mmmmmmmmmm, that looks more like KPH speeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement