Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System revamp...help!

Options
  • 01-09-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the long post. I'm going to do a bit of a brain-dump in the hope that some audiophile can help me.

I've decided to totally revamp my setup. Here's what I've got, mostly purchased in the early 90's:

Denon 3020 AV Amp
    Marantz CD52MKII
    Main Stereo speakers : Mission 808 (bridgeable, but I haven't)
    Centre : Denon something or other (lovely speaker)
    Rears: Mission 747s
    Turnable: A pretty decent Sony deck from circa 1974. Cheapish Ortofon Cart.
    Tuner: A Sony QS model
    MD: Sony QS model
    Tape Deck: High end Sony model from circa 1992.
    Cables: Am I bovvered?

My problem:

As you can see I have a bit of a mongrel of a set-up.

However one of the great things about the Denon 3020 is that you can apply Dolby processing to regular stereo CDs and vocal tracks tend to come out of the centre speaker. This only works with CDs; I don't get the same effect with CDs, tapes and MDs, for obvious reasons.

I find having the centre-speaker running with the usual stereo speaker really beefs up and fills out the overall sound, even with vinyl.

To be honest, I could live without tapes and MDs at this stage.

All I care about now is getting a decent sound for my CDs, vinyl, and maybe an aux input for MP3s.

My problems are as follows:

Vinyl: Sounds very very mushy. Hardly any top-end. Cart is relatively new.

CD: While the Marantz is a very good unit, I don't think it sits well with the Denon. There's lots of punch and low-end, but overall detail seems to be missing. I also feel the Mission speakers (808s and 747s) don't suit the Denon. The Denon centre speaker sounds better than the missions, although it was a much cheaper speaker.

What I've been thinking:

Ditch the lot. I heard a demo of one of the Bose Lifestyle systems playing 'Dark Side of the Moon', in particular the first track. The detail it was reproducing was amazing, I was hearing things that I've never heard before.

As I get older, the prospect of having a rack-full of gear appeals less and less.

I was thinking of maybe getting an integrated Bose or B&O system over getting components. But that still leaves the problem about vinyl.

I was also thinking of getting a second-hand Linn Sondek LP12 and phono-stage (new is just still money) but will I really notice the difference in sound between the same cartridge on an LP12 than I would on a budjet Project deck?

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Advertisement