Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gumtree.ie

Options
  • 01-09-2007 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I found a nice sony VAIO on the gumtree website so i emailed the contact address enquiring about it and I got a response telling me to look at their website www.wanlro.com. So I did and it looked a bit doogy so I googled it to see what I could find. I found a forum where someone else was wondering the same thing and one guy claimed that he had been ripped off. Im just wondering if anyone as an experience with them or heard of them before.
    Also while on the website i proceeded with an order to check out the method of order and payment and my order actually went through (very stupid I know), as the payment is on deliver and no bank details or credit card details were required. I emailed the person back giving the order code and simply told them it had been a mistake and i had given a false address so hopefully a sony laptop wont be arriving to my door any time soon. Although if the website is vaild I'll be more than happy to accept it. In relation to this order does anyone know if im obliged to accept the order put through?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Claim you know nothing about it...if they didn't need any other details than an address then I could have ordered you a laptop myself.

Only stupid businesses will engage a courier to deliver goods COD without any sort of verficiation because it's open to these abuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Ann-Marie

The next stage after that is probably you give your details of some sort. Not planning to go any further then that. I thought Gumtree was generally ok for that kind of stuff.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Scam I'd say.

No legit business that I know of would use a hotmail address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I concur with Kaizersoze... if it looks dodge, and feels dodge...it is dodge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And they are selling Dell XPS PC's, do dell allow other companies to sell their PC's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Ann-Marie wrote:
    Not planning to go any further then that. I thought Gumtree was generally ok for that kind of stuff.

Gumtree is completely unregulated and the ads aren't subject to any sort of screening. They are free to place and anyone with a hotmail account can do it.

In the early days I think it was the case that ads were checked to see if they were scams, etc but the site is so big now that this isn't done, just judging by the amount of bs ads in a lot of the categories.
    It's basically a free-for-all and you have keep your guard up.
    Caveat emptor.

Had a look at the website in question and it is definitely a scam.
    The stuff is impossibly cheap.

€300 for a 42" hdtvs,etc ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

fake for sure!!!!!

The order you placed is bull what they'll do is get back in touch with the email address you gave and then give you Western Union Details or some kind of money order thing.

Mess with their heads and tell them you've sent the money to them, poor little dudes will be up and down to their local western union office like blue arse flies wonderin whats gone wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

WANLRO International Trade Co., Ltd, bases on Central China metropolis-Nanyang, is a big professional international supplier and manufacturer of electronic products.

Yet they a website that's a crap scammer website,

Scam keep well away unless your a scam baiter

www.419eater.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'd also be very wary of using a company that prints their customer's address on the website!
    Clikeh

• Advertisement

00112984 wrote:
    I'd also be very wary of using a company that prints their customer's address on the website!
    Clikeh

lol @ some of the customer names;

Priscilla Shaftesbury

Rose West

Candace Shelton

Wonder what they used to generate them?
    Newspaper articles possibly. The addresses also are hybrid English/US.
    Not even a decent scam attempt but will probably hook a few none the less.

Advertisement