Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Caught speeding? need help please

Options
  • 01-09-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Folks,
    Can someone pls help?
    I drive a company car and was sent home on Thurs because I was sick. I was travelling between Navan and Drogheda, late for doctor and going by the primary school in Kentstown(not open yet), was clocked doing 70kmph in a 50kmph. The cop was on the right hand side well hidden by ditches. The camera was mounted on a tripod. As soon as I saw him I slowed to below 60, because that's what I thought was the speed limit, but have since discovered its a 50. On the left hand side there was a silver van with another cop standing casually in front, the van was blocking the car's view of the squad car.
    The reason I'm so worried, is that my boss is trying to find a way to fire me and I think he'll use it as an excuse if I get a speeding fine, and I am not sure if the cops can take a photo of you or if they needed to pull me over?

Thanks if you can help,
    Horse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They normally pull you over if its just a garda with a radar/laser speed detector. If it was a camera (ie fixed or gatso van) you'd get a fine in the post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I doubt you can be fired for getting a speeding ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have a company car and in my contract it says that if i were to gain 8 points then i would get a warning, any more points on top of that will result in dismissal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I have a company car and in my contract it says that if i were to gain 8 points then i would get a warning, any more points on top of that will result in dismissal.

How many have you got already. The speeds you say you were doing will only result in two points. I'd say you didn't get caught anyway. They would of pulled you over. I could be wrong :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

kikel wrote:
    How many have you got already. The speeds you say you were doing will only result in two points. I'd say you didn't get caught anyway. They would of pulled you over. I could be wrong :p

Thats not the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Unless as a previous poster mentioned there is a specific clause in your employment contract you can not be fired for getting a speeding ticket.

Well, I suppose you can be fired but you would be pretty much guaranteed a large award and probably re-instatement were you to sue for unfair dismissal based on that.

He can however pass your name on so as you get the penalty points and insist on you paying the fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Cion&#225 wrote: »
    Thats not the OP?
    no it's not.

I have no points thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Anyway i doubt he was caught. Unless that silver van was a gatso.
    The gardai would not have been visible if it was.
    They have to stop you and give you the fine etc.
    I would say they were more interested in people flying past at higher speeds than you, or just there being visible. I bet you watched your speed for at least the rest of the way home... in which case, that was their job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 horse888

There's nothing specific in my contract, I suppose I never thought of that. Prob just a bit paranoid. Cheers for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

if the camera they were using was on a tripod they may not have had to stop you, these cameras usually take a picture of the reg while recording the speed and this is then sent out in the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

draffodx wrote:
    if the camera they were using was on a tripod they may not have had to stop you, these cameras usually take a picture of the reg while recording the speed and this is then sent out in the post

I was under the impression the gardai did not have this technology. Has something changed?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Im not aware of a silver talivan so its likely that it was someone pulled over/chatting to the gardai.
    As for your boss looking for ways to get rid of you, if they were that dissatisfied with your performance, Im sure they would discuss it with you or find a valid way of giving you the boot.
    Your boss sending you home when sick doesn't sound like a method for earning you the sack. How was the boss to know that you would drive over the speed limit in a company car? Surely if they knew that you deliberatley sped in a company car (possibly earning the company owner/directors penalty points) then they may reconsider your company car option!

Advertisement