Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

avensis 2.0 d4d to what?

Options
  • 01-09-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I am thinking of changing our Avensis dsl for a smaller hp diesel, since i have got a van it is the wife who drives the car mostly does about 15000km per year.
    my question what to buy?
    1 new corolla 1.4 d4d
    2 mazda 3 1.6 dsl
    3 focus 1.6 dsl
    4 c4 1.6 dsl
    5 307 1.6 dsl
    any advice welcone:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

15,000 km is not huge miles, diesels, even small capacity ones are not cheap to buy over their petrol models.

However to answer your question.

Corolla D-4D has 90bhp but the model spec is pretty basic for the money. You have to buy the top model to get air conditioning.

Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Citroen C4 and Peugeot 307 all use the same 1.6 litre diesel engine. It is built by Peugeot/Citroen and sold to Ford who have a major share in Mazda. It also produces around 90bhp these days and is a pretty reliable unit.

I would not bother with the Peugeot 307 as the all new 308 is launched early next year. I'm not a fan of the C4 either, build quality may be patchy but saying that Citroens have improved greatly over the last few years.

If it were my money it would be a choice between the Mazda 3 and Focus. Both cars are basically the same underneath the bodywork. The Focus has a better model line up than the 3 and I would image is cheaper to service. The Mazda 3 however is less common than the Focus and has a 3 year warranty compared to the Ford's 2 years.

Others that might be worth considering are the new Hyundai i30 and Kia Cee'd diesels. Basically the same car underneath too and come with a 1.5 litre diesel engine. They are very well equipped for the money and the Kia comes with a 7 year warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭TCollins

Have a closer look at the Focus FFV. Its a 1.8l petrol engine but also runs on E85 biofuel which is appearing at more and more stations.

Best part is there is about €2600 off the price because of the VRT reduction.

And allegedly in the budget this year road tax is going to be reduced on these vehicles substantially.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

TCollins wrote:
    Have a closer look at the Focus FFV. Its a 1.8l petrol engine but also runs on E85 biofuel which is appearing at more and more stations.

Best part is there is about €2600 off the price because of the VRT reduction.

And allegedly in the budget this year road tax is going to be reduced on these vehicles substantially.

If it is I'd seriously consider one.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

thanks for the feedback,
    but i still think the corolla because of the size [nearly as big as avensis] it holds it value,and reliability and economy
    Has anyone any negative problems with 1.4 d4d

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's not as fast as your Avensis. nothing to worry about reliability wise.
    consider a 1.4 petrol Corolla as well as you're not doing big mileage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement