Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Different" kinds of meat

Options
  • 31-08-2007 5:29pm

While I am a firm believer in the "Meat and two Veg" philosophy, you can only eat it for so long, and variation is the key to staving off boredom. While some of you might think that any veg is a bad idea, I personally think they've an important part to play in the soap-opera that is meal time.

Forget about cauliflower, parsnips, turnips and all that crap. it's all bland, tasteless muck. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they were in fact considered to be weeds at one time. Then, along came the famine, and everybody started eating anything they could lay their hands on. Just peel it, boil the fcuk out of it and then serve. Thus, the mighty stew was born.

I'm more talking about the 'exotic' veg, mushies, peppers, chillies, red onions etc. These are more my cup of tea. Which brings me, finally, to my main point. Am i missing out by not trying the more 'exotic' types of meat out there? I've had frogs' legs before, but there wasn't much meat on them. I've never had veal, venison or anything like it, but i'm getting a feeling i might be missing out.

The reason i'm asking this, is that the new EuroSpar down the end of our road is selling Kangaroo meat, Crocodile meat and Whole, headless, skinless Rattlesnakes. Anybody ever tasted them before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Try shark. It's very good.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So is ostrich.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try them - what have you got to lose? I was abroad recently and I managed to convince a friend (who is a very fussy eater) to get the pasta and snails dish. Didn't go down to well, but at least he tried them. I ended up eating them. :D

I've had ostrich and shark before - very nice. Now rattlesnake sounds good. Stick it in a kebab and you won't know the difference.

Go for it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I had gazelle (or could have been springbok, they all look the same to me :) ) in South Africa. Not great, I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

give kangaroo a try, its as tough as sex with a catholic but worth it. i also second ostrich, lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

To save you from having to go to Darwin or Durban for your dinner - you could try the less popular cuts from our home-grown beasts. I'm thinking of oxtail, liver, kidney, tongue, pigs' feet, pigs' cheeks, pork belly, pigeon, etc., etc.

Here's a cracker of an after-pub snack:
    Get a couple of sheets of bacon ribs (the lean ones - not the fatty spare ribs).
    Stick in a large pot of water, bring to boil & then simmer for 30 mins.
    Eat.
    The sticky, salty ribs will have you gasping for more drink in next to no-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

Mmmm. Ribs rule. As do crubeens (pigs trotters) ... there used to be a chip shop in Inchicore that sold crubeens occasionally, don't know if it's still there.

I think if you have the opportunity to try something, you should do it ... the only exceptions to this rule are sea food that is not covered in batter, folk-dancing and testicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

trout wrote:
    ... the only exceptions to this rule are sea food that is not covered in batter, folk-dancing and testicles.

There is nowt wrong with eating testicles Brother Trout, as long as:
    (a) they are no longer attached to a living being
    (b) the being, when living, was not a man
    (c) they've been cooked

I'd also have to disagree with the battering of seafood. What about scallops? The ultimate lazy fecker's food:
    Heat pan
    Add oil
    Add scallops
    Fry for 90 seconds
    Eat

What could be quicker & easier? *

(* Sits back & waits for 20 youngsters with not even a single girlfriend between them to start shouting "Get the missus to cook it for you!" :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Buffalo ! Very tasty ! Much less fat than your average mobile methane dispenser !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Brothers, if you are feeling adventurous but not too adventurous then ostritch is the meat for you. It's basically a steak with wings, long legs and a bad attitude.

That's right, it looks like steak, smells like steak and even tastes like steak...be warned however that it is less fatty than steak and a good degree healthier thank steak! It is truly delicious, I've had ostritch in steak and burger form and both tasted great.

Veal is basically young steak and very nice too. Venison is pretty good but do try rabbit, there's not much meat on a rabbit but it's mighty tasty!

• Advertisement

Brothers, if you are feeling adventurous but not too adventurous then ostritch is the meat for you. It's basically a steak with wings, long legs and a bad attitude.

That's right, it looks like steak, smells like steak and even tastes like steak...be warned however that it is less fatty than steak and a good degree healthier thank steak! It is truly delicious, I've had ostritch in steak and burger form and both tasted great.

Veal is basically young steak and very nice too. Venison is pretty good but do try rabbit, there's not much meat on a rabbit but it's mighty tasty!

Is that you brother r3nu4l ? Why the name change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Is that you brother r3nu4l ? Why the name change ?
    Oh it is indeed me! :)

Three reasons.

1. Most people can't pronounce r3nu4l as 'renewal'
    2. Del Griffith was a fine man worthy of a place in the BGRH hall of fame and I honour his gentle soul and manly girth.
    3. Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of my favourite 'feel-good' road-trip movies :D

Oh it is indeed me! :)

Three reasons.

1. Most people can't pronounce r3nu4l as 'renewal'
    2. Del Griffith was a fine man worthy of a place in the BGRH hall of fame and I honour his gentle soul and manly girth.
    3. Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of my favourite 'feel-good' road-trip movies :D

Ahh ! Stoodunder !

Advertisement