Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is leaving cert home ec like :?

Options
  • 31-08-2007 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

hi everyone,

i was hoping to get business, accounting and music (physics/art are my 4th n 5th )

but my business is on the same time with physics and acc is on the same time wiv music and art...it ashame!!!:mad: :(

so...there i am ending up doing home ec:eek: ..and i haven't done that subject before
    and i am not interested either , could anybody tell em what is da lc home ec like anyway? and it that going to be really hard coz i havent done it before

thank you ><:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Do you have blocks? Anything else in the same block you'd prefer? I had Economics on the same time as Geography, and had to do Biology then instead of Eco. Disaster. Got a C1 but it's what dragged me down. So be careful with taking up subjects out of the blue!

Home Ec is treated as a joke of a subject, but it's quite broad. A lot of it seems to tie in with common sense/Biology though. Not much actual cooking.

Wouldn't be very hard to get a B in, if you applied yourself. Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Do you have blocks? Anything else in the same block you'd prefer? I had Economics on the same time as Geography, and had to do Biology then instead of Eco. Disaster. Got a C1 but it's what dragged me down. So be careful with taking up subjects out of the blue!

Home Ec is treated as a joke of a subject, but it's quite broad. A lot of it seems to tie in with common sense/Biology though. Not much actual cooking.

Wouldn't be very hard to get a B in, if you applied yourself. Good luck with it!

thanks =) well yea i have to choose between engineering, construction, history and home ec it lyk i haven't got a hope for dem other 3, so u mean if i sit down n learn it be grand //><..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Home Ec is a joke of a subject and for that reason I would not recommend it. Very difficult for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Home-ec is such a difficult subject if you dont enjoy it. I was getting A1'S/A2's all year, then i only ended up with a B1....going to view the script today and see what the story is- it could be the project though!! The project is nasty. Personally if you are looking for points, do business!!! Way easier, i picked that up in 6th yr and got an A1!! Good luck anyway !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

STAY THE F**K AWAY.

shazzyshaz I feel your pain, got a B1 too. S**t subject......... Well, not s**t subject, s**t examination....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I was getting A1s/A2s all along and got a B2 in the end and was fúcking raging. The correcting on the logsbook is awfully harsh,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I took it up when I repeated and got an A2, upgraded to an A1 on appeal. There's a fair amount of work in it but if you've a decent teacher who knows how to do the cookery booklet and put in some serious spadework there's no reason why you can't get a good grade, though it statistically is one of the most difficult exams to get an A in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

md99 wrote:
    STAY THE F**K AWAY.

shazzyshaz I feel your pain, got a B1 too. S**t subject......... Well, not s**t subject, s**t examination....

totally agree. i went to view it yesterday and was marked so badly!! Im applealing it. and the project.......how on earth do they mark that?? they took away marks frm my ingredients list like wat the???

thanks everyone ....ah my life - - :rolleyes:
    i just got the home ec book ...it like all theory :mad: kinda like business -___-
    what is the project about?

and good luck with applealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

its not all theory.... it'd be a lot easier if it was. the book may be all theory itself, but what's in the exam is about 40% of the book stuff. the rest they just sorta.....make up themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Please do not do this, it is ****ing horrible! Really as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I started home ec after the JC and I got a C1 in hons. It's a good subject, but way too broad. Could've gotten a B grade but there's just too much to expect to come up on the exam paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lcstudent2008

i am doing it for the leaving cert aswell and i find it very hard....i got a d3 in my 5th year summer exam so i am talking grinds in the institute this year..... i really want and need a good mark in this exam... i have the project completed so i will focus on the book everyone is right the syllabus is way to broad also it is kinda connected with bio. which i don't know so am at a bit of a disadvantage... so from what i know it is really hard but good luck anyway!!

hello everybody !! thx for your comments:D

well i had 3 weeks of home ec ..., that just theres so much that need to be memorized ................!! o________________O sick of it already

md99 wrote:
    its not all theory.... it'd be a lot easier if it was. the book may be all theory itself, but what's in the exam is about 40% of the book stuff. the rest they just sorta.....make up themselves.

:eek: that sick !! only 40% da book is huge !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

Ermm ... Im in 5th year Home Ec !

Food studies is 45%, Consumer Studies and Resource Management and Social Studies make up 80% of your overall grade.

Is there any practical work involved in these parts or is practical work only involved in the Electives ?

Also what is the Social Studies Elective like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

yeah-boy wrote:

Food studies is 45%, Consumer Studies and Resource Management and Social Studies make up 80% of your overall grade.

Is there any practical work involved in these parts or is practical work only involved in the Electives ?

Hey , :)

This guy is a total retaired . Don’t pay any notice to him . Or anything he says . He makes things up and trys to piss people off . :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Coco88 wrote:
    Hey , :)

This guy is a total retaired . Don’t pay any notice to him . Or anything he says . He makes things up and trys to piss people off . :eek:

I think your a total "retaired" yourself because you dont even spell retarded properly.

Your an insufferable know it all.

Go work in McDonalds or something.

Thats 2 posts where your ****ing abusing people for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

JSK 252 wrote:
    I think your a total "retaired" yourself because you dont even spell retarted properly.
    neither can you...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

neither can you...:o

A typo error for your ****ing information:mad: , the guy/girl wrote "retaired" on a previous forum aswell. He/she obviously thinks thats the way you spell the word.

At least I know how to correct myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

Coco88 whats your deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xxbreexx

same thing pretty much happened to me.. wanted music biology and business! didnt get business cause its on at the same times as music! :( so have to choose by tomorrow! i got chemistry instead of business! and got a D in honours maths for j.c. so wouldnt do well in it! so either have to do geography or home ec (which i didnt do for j.c.!)

help :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭clairek6

how much is the practical worth?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

clairek6 wrote: »
    how much is the practical worth?:)

40% as far as my Home Ec teacher told us. She's a mad bat so I may be wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

If you think home ec is hard/boring.. try sitting it through irish. Not only was it twice as hard, but the textbook was translated so badly, we had to fork out ANOTHER €30 for the english version!
    yeah-boy wrote: »

I liked it.

We did it coz the teacher said it was the easiest lol!

Most of it is common sense (education; different types of schools available, poverty; effects on a persons wellbeing). BUT. Make sure you don't spoof. Learn the facts and figures.. (figures for domestic violence/various family laws ect). If answering a question in social studies its easy to spoof but don't make a big essay about nothing.. stick to the key facts/figures in BULLET POINTS!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭clairek6

Aoifums wrote: »
    40% as far as my Home Ec teacher told us. She's a mad bat so I may be wrong :)

okay thanks. im thinkin of taking it up for fifth year.. (im in ty now):p

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

clairek6 wrote: »
    okay thanks. im thinkin of taking it up for fifth year.. (im in ty now):p

Il be honest, its a pain in the hole, but it is do-able. Its very broad, but think of it this way, a lot of it is necessary for life after school... (unlike poetry, and that kinda stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Im doing my leaving this year and pretty much got b's all year without opening a book. I also got a B2 in my summer test and didnt even open a book for it. We spent the whole year on the project. I find it easy, but i did all the work in Junior Cert and remember most of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Please note that you're not marked on the "practical" like in Junior Cert Home Ec. All cooking is done in class time and you are marked on what you write on the cooking assignment in the project book. For example, the cooking task might ask you to prepare a meal for a a busy family with two young children. Say you cook Shepherd's Pie. In the work book, you talk about why the dish was chosen and the benefits it will have etc. So, red meat - protein, vegetables - vitamins and minerals, potato - carbs, meal can be frozen, can be eaten with a spoon etc and and so on. You also list out what you did when cooking, from washing hands and putting on apron, to cleaning the surfaces after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

md99 wrote: »

Not true at all.
    yeah-boy wrote: »

Basically the theory in the book is 80% and the booklet you do is the other 20%.As said above
    As far as i know in the textile option there is a pradtical bit
    The others are just theory from what i remember
    Twee. wrote: »
    Please note that you're not marked on the "practical" like in Junior Cert Home Ec. All cooking is done in class time and you are marked on what you write on the cooking assignment in the project book. For example, the cooking task might ask you to prepare a meal for a a busy family with two young children. Say you cook Shepherd's Pie. In the work book, you talk about why the dish was chosen and the benefits it will have etc. So, red meat - protein, vegetables - vitamins and minerals, potato - carbs, meal can be frozen, can be eaten with a spoon etc and and so on. You also list out what you did when cooking, from washing hands and putting on apron, to cleaning the surfaces after.

+1

Advertisement