Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* beside grade

Options
  • 31-08-2007 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I Know somebody who got their cert with a * sign beside their English and Irish results.
    This means that they supposedly had an allownce given for spelling and punctuation in these exams. Normally you'd get this * if you were dyslexic or have some similar long term condition.

Now the problem is that he has no such condition and is not happy about having this mark on the cert. People who even have conditions which allow for spelling etc allowences I'm sure are none to pleased to have it there (there's a court case about it at the mo' due to people wanting to get rid of it).

So I was wondering if anybody knows what to do about this. He's been trying to find info without much luck so I said I'd post here.

It may be a clerical error but will the paper have to get rechecked just to get rid of it? Is there anybody else here with a similar mark on your cert, if so is it also on your internet results?

sorry about this long post, thanks for reading it, any help/advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

He should contact the SEC, email or phone, probably available here www.examinations.ie Failing that, the school might have entered him as that? You can order a cert on that website, it costs but he might get the fee waived if he explains and the SEC accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Methinks it might be a clerical...I got the spelling and grammar waver and I know that the on the answer books, one of the supers at the centre have to write that I had a waver.

On a side note you say "People who even have conditions which allow for spelling etc allowances I'm sure are none to pleased to have it there". There are some out there who do, but I for one don't mind it one bit for one major reason...the LC isn't worth much anymore...after a few weeks in college no one will ask you what you've got....

the school might have entered him as that?

It would be impossible without him knowing about it...there are forms and tests one has to fill/take before you get such a waver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 boundary

THanks,
    IrishKnight: does your cert have a * on it? If so is it also with the results you can view on the internet?

The worry would be if he failed college and his leaving was all he had. I understood that it was a big turn off for employers to see a mark like this on the cert but the truth is he (or anyone asksed) just don't know what implications it would actually have, if any at all.

THanks,
    IrishKnight: does your cert have a * on it? If so is it also with the results you can view on the internet?

The worry would be if he failed college and his leaving was all he had. I understood that it was a big turn off for employers to see a mark like this on the cert but the truth is he (or anyone asksed) just don't know what implications it would actually have, if any at all.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if it's not the web results...I have my pin around here somewhere.

My mum was thinking the same, what implications would it have, so she phoned the SEC and they said it shouldn't have any what so ever. I also think that if there was an implication you could take the business/whatever to court under the Equal Opportunities Act or what ever it's called.

I would how ever get in contact with the SEC and tell them about it, clearly this is a mistake

Found the pin, there is no * beside the results however on the page was the following,
    "Any copy of this page is not an official Leaving Certificate."

Thanks a million for checking that IrishKnight, much appreciated:)

No problem

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The * means there is a supplemental report.

This could mean an element was missing, such as someone who did not attend for the oral in Irish or missed handing in, for example, a research project in History, or was not in for the Home Ec. practical, or did the first of a two-paper exam but not the second.

It does not always mean the person was entered as needing 'reasonable accommodation'.

• Advertisement

At the back of the page that he got from the school there should be a note saying what it's about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

no one who did the leaving this year has a cert yet, they have a provisional statement of results, just make sure and get it sorted for the real thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I think the asterix indicates that the SEC were aware the candidate had some form of handicap (eg. a literary disorder) and took that into account when correcting. A friend of mine is dyslexic and he had the asterix beside his English and Irish grades, but not the other subjects for some strange reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Steve01 wrote:
    I think the asterix indicates that the SEC were aware the candidate had some form of handicap (eg. a literary disorder) and took that into account when correcting. A friend of mine is dyslexic and he had the asterix beside his English and Irish grades, but not the other subjects for some strange reason

Could be something to do with the fact that a condition such as dyslexia would only be a handicap in subjects such as Irish or English where mechanics are assigned marks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Again...the * means there is a supplementary report. The report attached to the result will say what it is. It does not automatically mean there was reasonable accommodation.

If it is a supplementary on the basis of using a tape recorder or a reader or a scribe, it will explain which one. If it is because of a missing element of the exam, it will state that an element is missing.

http://www.dyslexia.ie/examaccommodations.htm has some info on the former, though the * in itself does not indicate reasonable accommodations, just the existence of a report.

Thanks for all the input here.
    I think on the back of the provisional cert it says something like all elements were assessed except spelling and punctuation. Anyways he's gone in to get the paper rechecked, didn't quite get why that had to be done (apparently the SEC won't do anything about it otherwise) however that's whats happened so the matter should be over now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

cocoa wrote:
    no one who did the leaving this year has a cert yet, they have a provisional statement of results, just make sure and get it sorted for the real thing...

What does this mean?? Because I never got a second certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

What does this mean?? Because I never got a second certificate?
    I don't know when and how the actual certificates are distributed (though it must be after appeals are over anyway) but "provisional statement of results" is what it said on my sheet so...

The actual certificates can take up to a couple of years to be sent to the schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 krisnamco

For some reason I have that next to my History grade... Thing is, my spelling and grammar are pretty good, I had an A2 in English, the best grade in my class, and in all my school years I barely had any mistakes on any essays. I thought it had something to do with the fact I didn't turn in my project, since I didn't even start it, and I still got a B3 in History with with the * next to it.

• Advertisement

krisnamco wrote: »
    For some reason I have that next to my History grade... Thing is, my spelling and grammar are pretty good, I had an A2 in English, the best grade in my class, and in all my school years I barely had any mistakes on any essays. I thought it had something to do with the fact I didn't turn in my project, since I didn't even start it, and I still got a B3 in History with with the * next to it.

Yes, in that case it would mean an element of the exam was missing. From what you say, it was your Research essay.

Advertisement