Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demo versus used car

Options
  • 31-08-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

When does a demo car become a used car? I thought demo cars were strictly those owned by a garage but not registered to them for up to 3 months. In other words, if I buy a demo car, I will be the first registered owner. Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

No a demo car is just a term garages are using to avoid saying used car. You wont be the first registered owner in the vast majority of cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I thought demo cars are the ones that are used to let people test drive.
    Some of them get driven fairly hard ,right from the start :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Am I the only one that suspects many "Ex-Demo" cars are really "Ex-Rental"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

hagar, alot of second hand cars on garage forecourts are ex rental!

most garages do get demo's of new models though and they buy them at 5-10% discount from the manufacturers. you will not be the first owner as it has to be registersd to get plates (unless its being driven on garage plates, which the cops are coming down much harder on)

demo's are a good buy if you can get them at a proper price, ie the new price minus first years depreciation. some places try to sell them at the price they got them for (retail-5%) in which case stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

That's fine as long as they are no mis-represented.

Cars owned by rental companies are never registered in their own names. Usually they have a number of innocent sounding holding companies, say Acme Trading Ltd. or whatever, and register the vehicles under those names so that Joe Public never sees Hertz or Budget etc. down as the first owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Hagar wrote:
    That's fine as long as they are no mis-represented.

Cars owned by rental companies are never registered in their own names. Usually they have a number of innocent sounding holding companies, say Acme Trading Ltd. or whatever, and register the vehicles under those names so that Joe Public never sees Hertz or Budget etc. down as the first owner.

Very true. An opel garage I bought a vectra off(now you know why I spent alot of time in the garage:) ) used to take in regular shipments (I wont say which one but its part of the DG group) and all the salesmen used to have a right laugh at poeple saying they would never buy an ex rental.

Mine was obviously an ex farmers car:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Garage demo cars are the one that the staff are given as "company cars".

Advertisement