Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] Writing Inspiration Holidays

Options
  • 30-08-2007 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I’m a starting out historian who occasionally writes a paper every now and again. I’ve just visited Vienna to learn about classical music composers in the hope of feeling inspired to sit down and write (history, not classical music). I visited a reconstruction of Mozarts apartment (flattened during WW2) and sat in the room where he would have written certain pieces. I could also view out a window down a cobbled street and could see the building in which Mozart lived in very poor accommodation a few years previously, symbolizing his rise through Viennese society. (This was explained by the automatic tour guide). I also visited the Vienna Music Musuem and learned about the rise of Vienna based composers, some from very humble beginnings. Apparently Schubert was so poor, he couldn’t even afford a piano and wrote his symphonies purely from his mind. (Potentially inspirational????). I also went to a classical concert to hear the finished product.

I’m not that interested in classical music but I do like to hear stories about creative genius writers, in the hope that I can I replicate them in my own minor way. I was just wondering does anyone out there have any examples of other holidays you can take that could be potentially inspirational for writing purposes, be it literature, science, history, music or other.

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

cambodia and vietnam... i found them pretty inspirational, humbling, etc.
    the killing fields, S-21,
    the american war remembrance museum in Saigon was a highlight, the DMZ, ho chi minhs mausoleum, the cu chi tunnels... many many more things to see.
    bear in mind that part of the adventure isn't a walk in the park. if you want harrowing stories about how they've preserved the horrors of war i'm still telling them 4 months on and certainly have no qualms about writing down a few.

Advertisement