Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Hard Drive IDE cable required!!

Options
  • 30-08-2007 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Help!!! I have just installed Pointsec 6.2 on my bosses laptop as part of a test before we release it to the organisation. Software installed fine and hard drive encrypted successfully. then the hard drive died. When laptop is booting up it makes a knocking noise which in my experience is generally a hardware issue but she seems to think its because it encrypted. Anyway I'm trying to recover the data.

I've tried slaving it using a USB caddy without success. I've received some support from colleagues in another organisation who use Pointsec and thay have said that because its encrypted the only way to slave it is to use an IDE cable as they have experienced similar issues. My question is "where can I find an IDE cable that will allow me to slave the laptop hard drive"?? The hard drive is a Hitachi Travelstar and normal IDE cables are useless for this job. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

any computershop should have them.
    Its a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor, with a 4 pin powerplug roughly 5-10 euro max.
    To jumper it slave u need tiny jumpers to jumper it on the drive itself.
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

you dont need to jumper the 2.5" drive. just plug them in. Ive never had to jumper any of them when ever ive copied stuff across. Maybe so if your using the same IDE channel but the 2.5" IDE cable can only have 1 drive anyways

Advertisement