Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have something like this

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not really, however www.aaroadwatch.ie will give you various warnings about extreme road conditions, accidents, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Iceland is a relatively small community of less than 300,000 people, i.e. a bit bigger than tallaght. Given that the island itself is bigger than ireland, and prone to more extreme weather conditions, I imagine it's much more necessary to warn people of possible dangers. They simply wouldn't have the infrastructure or resources to deal with accidents effectively in remote areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

We do have environmental conditions available via the NRA web site:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Iceland is a relatively small community of less than 300,000 people, i.e. a bit bigger than tallaght. Given that the island itself is bigger than ireland, and prone to more extreme weather conditions, I imagine it's much more necessary to warn people of possible dangers. They simply wouldn't have the infrastructure or resources to deal with accidents effectively in remote areas

I was thinking more of journey planning. If you see that a route is blocked or flooded or the weather conditions you plan your route differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

kearnsr wrote:
    I was thinking more of journey planning. If you see that a route is blocked or flooded or the weather conditions you plan your route differently.
    Still, Iceland would have a much greater need for it. How often are roads blocked by avalanches here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Still, Iceland would have a much greater need for it. How often are roads blocked by avalanches here?

I'm not thinking of extreme weather conditions like that.

More in terms of current road conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

I am a regular visitor to (and driver in) Iceland. For months other than June-August/September it is vital to have information like this, as some interior roads are only open for 2 or 3 months of the year and many interior roads require a 4x4. Its not so much about weather conditions per se, as knowning if the road is actually open, is it passable with a car, do you need a 4x4, or do you need snow tires. So knowing what the road condition is like is very important when planning a journey. However, my personal experience of using this service, is that the information is not always very accurate. I have found (even in early summer) roads to be actually closed, when the website says they are passable.

BTW, avalanches are not an issue, but sometimes rock falls can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It is not really necessary here, apart from the daily gridlock around all of our cities and towns it is rare for most main roads to be closed at any time of the year.

Only a small number of back roads in mountain areas are prone to regular ice/snow although it is always funny to see the complete collapse of our road network on the falling of a single snowflake or a square centimetre of ice on suburban streets.

Advertisement