Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of Purchace Query

Options
  • 30-08-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering, I need to have proof of purchace of my mp3 player so I can send it back to be repaired.

I bought it online but I don't have the reciept or the credit card bill that it was on anymore.

Would I be able to have the bank get my credit card records (from May) and would this suffice as proof of purchace?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Technically you need to provide the prrof of purpose. Wherever you bought it from should be good enough to dig out a copy.

Bank statements are not proof of purchase, neither are visa reciepts.

Sorry for the bad news!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I purchased a 60Gb Creative Labs Zen Vision M MP3 player on Amazon.com (The U.S. Version) and had it shipped to an address in the States. A friend brought it back to Dublin for me. After about 40 days it packed in and I contacted Creative Labs Europe to return it as it was under warranty. It states on the Creative Labs website that products can only be returned if they have a proof of purchase. I contacted the bank and they sent me a copy of the Credit Card Statement and I also went back into my emails from Amazon and re-printed the Invoice but when it came to returning the player I was never asked to produce a proof of purchase. All they wanted was the Model and Serial number of the player. They took it back even though I technically bought it in a different country. Contact the MP3 Manufacturers and play dumb. It worked for me. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I was always taught(second level business years ago) proof of purchase is desirable but not necessary. armed with this fact(right or wrong) I have gotten numerous replacements for items that never worked but i was too lazy to bring them back and by the time i had the receipt was nowhere to be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Any documentation that proves you transferred x amount to x company is reasonably useable as proof of purchase. So bank statements (if its laser only mind you), credit card statements, chq stubs etc are all perfectly fine.

Your only looking to establish that you purchased the goods/service from the company your looking for repair/replacement from.

You don't need proof of purchase to return goods but you've got a bit of a problem if the company claims that you didn't purchase the item from them.

See here for more info about proof of purchase:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-complaints/how_to_make_a_consumer_complaint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Ah brillo thanks folks. It's actually a Creative Zen and I have all the particulars bar the proof of purchace so I'll hope for the best. Not too worried about it cos it didn't cost too much but cheers for the help anyhoo!

• Advertisement
Advertisement