Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot planning at Firhouse M50 exit

Options
  • 30-08-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

All summer they have been widening the road between the Ballycullen roundabout and the Firhouse M50 exit about 500m. So there I am thinking great it is going to be 2 lanes that will lessen the traffic congestion in the morning.
    Anyhow they finally open the road about a week and half ago. Guess what it is still one lane either way with now 50% of the road covered in White lines :mad:
    They have made a couple of new entrances for Knocklyon park and the football club but traffic congestion there in the morning is as bad as ever!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is that not part of the green route along the R113?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

quite possibly the biggest traffic island of white lines i have ever seen. its an absolute joke. therell never be a need for lanes to turn into the estate or the football club. Such a waste of money if you ask me. i had been wondering why the road widening hadnt extended to the m50 roundabout... i guess thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Luckycharm wrote:
    All summer they have been widening the road between the Ballycullen roundabout and the Firhouse M50 exit about 500m. So there I am thinking great it is going to be 2 lanes that will lessen the traffic congestion in the morning.
    Anyhow they finally open the road about a week and half ago.

Tarring and Feathering supposedly qualified Proffessional Planners suddenly appears to be a desirable option once again.....

How,for example,were the great and the good of Dun Laoire/Rathdown CC and Dublin City Council allowed to get great Positive PR out of the opening of the Rock Road QBC ?

Then quite literally 24 Hrs later Dublin City Council`s Water Works Dept arrive on-scene and commence a (supposedly) 12 week Major project which effectively suspends this (supposedly) major piece of new Public Transport infrastructure......Any negative media coverage......Are U mad r what,Gay sure the canapès and grog wouldnt be even finished........

Not alone did they cut a swathe across the Dublin end of the QBC but out in the Borough (Kingstown......eek ! sorry...Dun Laoighre) their "contractors" effectively mimic the Dubs by ripping seven shades of shytt out of Glenageary just to be certain of destroying any beneficial effect of this QBC nonsense....

My pet theory is that Dublin Civic Administration and Management consists largely of inter-cine warfare conducted in the open-plan trenches of hundreds of departmental offices and fought by "proffessionals" who have been neck and neck in promotion contests for years and as a result will never lose an opportunity to "Shaft" their competitors.

This ensures that self important twats get to inflate their ego`s and their non-existent planning acumen whilst remaining on the pension graph.
    Perhaps we should look more closely at Chinese or Iranian methodology for dealing with errant Public Servants... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote [Nobelstee] " . Such a waste of money if you ask me. [End]

Lets get into Pantomine mode here......."Oh no it`s not......!".......Why Not...?
    Ask the crowd who supplied the Paint and Laid it down whether the money was wasted or not........ :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Look it is South Dublin County Council.

What did you expect: a clear co-ordinated road policy for their area of responsibility punctuated with common sense and an intuitive understanding of junctions and roads and what needs to be done to improve traffic flow??

Not in our lifetimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I saw this myself for the first time last week and I have to say I was surprised. There was me, like the OP, thinking that there was going to be a dedicated lane for M50 access! I've seen less white paint on a runway! Given the desperate congestion in that neck of the woods I would have thought that a dedicated lane for the M50 would have been the obvious thing to do..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

crosstownk wrote:
    I saw this myself for the first time last week and I have to say I was surprised. There was me, like the OP, thinking that there was going to be a dedicated lane for M50 access! I've seen less white paint on a runway! Given the desperate congestion in that neck of the woods I would have thought that a dedicated lane for the M50 would have been the obvious thing to do..........

Who would you actually contact to complain about this - as others have said the runway down the middle which must be 10ms wide at one stage could easily be a second lane. When they are doing it up they had 2 lanes with bollards blocking the rest which they used at alternative stage as a lane so they had the room for a seond lane straight onto the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 The Sisco Kid

Eventually the M50 junction here will be upgraded and a second bridge built over the M50. I think the works will be similar to the Ballymount junction. I can only presume that the new road will tie into the new junction when it is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Was thinking the very same thing myself, 'oh yes finally two lanes each way for getting on to or off the M50 in a timely manner' but no, they have a lane for the football club and one for the estate, each of which probably has a dozen cars an hour at most for the estate, turning in, and fu<king traffic islands taking up the rest of it.

And why don't 90% of the cyclists going down that road USE THE CYCLE LANE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Eventually the M50 junction here will be upgraded

Yep this junction is being upgraded in M50 phase 2 currently out to tender according to M50.ie

Proposed junction attached comes from http://www.sdublincoco.ie/sdcc/departments/roads/publications/pdf/m50upgradeschemeEIS/Volume05_02.pdf

I haven't seen the paint job, but maybe this is an example of forward planning, money saved, planners etc. doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I haven't seen the paint job, but maybe this is an example of forward planning, money saved, planners etc. doing the right thing.

Sorry for the sarcasim but ........eh.......NO.

If you had seen it you would realise that this is sheer incompetence incorporating complete lack of accountbility.

It's a disaster.....complete, total and unmitigated. I just pray that they don't turn on those lights.

I really can't understand what they were trying to achieve. They have put gates up on the entrance to the estate so that nobody needs the aceleration/deceleration lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Luckycharm wrote:
    Who would you actually contact to complain about this
    The Roads and Transportation department of South Dublin County Council. Phone 414-9000.

Edit: Found tiny bit about it on the SDCC site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,881 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yep this junction is being upgraded in M50 phase 2 currently out to tender according to M50.ie

Proposed junction attached comes from http://www.sdublincoco.ie/sdcc/departments/roads/publications/pdf/m50upgradeschemeEIS/Volume05_02.pdf

It would have been forward planning if they'd built the new section all the way to the junction, but they've stopped well short. They will have to dig the place up again for the new junction and then there will be even more chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

daymobrew wrote:

Edit: Found tiny bit about it on the SDCC site.

The info in the link above relates to the Firhouse Road realignment - not the same as the recent alterations on St Colmcilles Way that the OP refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭daymobrew

crosstownk wrote:
    The info in the link above relates to the Firhouse Road realignment - not the same as the recent alterations on St Colmcilles Way that the OP refers to.
    Fair enough, my mistake. Hopefully the other link and phone number will be useful to Luckycharm.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Cheers Del2005 & narommy. Should be interesting to see if there's any response to complaints so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Rubbish. The upgrade makes perfect sense when taken in context as a primer for the M50 upgrade phase 2. Right now it doesn't make much sense because the road narrows as it reaches the M50 junction, but when the junction upgrade is complete this scheme will tie in nicely.
    crosstownk wrote:
    The info in the link above relates to the Firhouse Road realignment
    The relevant scheme on SDCC's roads page is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I don't see what difference this wold have made if there was a lane straight onto the M50 north, it is jammed there morning and evening so cars would not be able to filter on anyway.

What was the score with the old bawn traffic light? they seem to have had a major upgrade but it again has made no difference to the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

i go through the old bawn lights every day and without a doubt the traffic is worse since the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Was thinking the very same thing myself, 'oh yes finally two lanes each way for getting on to or off the M50 in a timely manner' but no, they have a lane for the football club and one for the estate, each of which probably has a dozen cars an hour at most for the estate, turning in, and fu<king traffic islands taking up the rest of it.

Two Sheds you will find this hilarious I am sure but as it happens the second entrance is not into the estate (good idea I am sure) but purely into the carpark for the GAA pitches!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't see what difference this wold have made if there was a lane straight onto the M50 north, it is jammed there morning and evening so cars would not be able to filter on anyway.

What was the score with the old bawn traffic light? they seem to have had a major upgrade but it again has made no difference to the traffic.

I think part of the problem is that the traffic indeed backs up the slip because the M50 is congested. However, a lot of the backed up traffic on Colm Cille way is because of the wait to get across on to the bridge.

I've also occasionally seen people come up and down the slip in the misguided notion it will save time. :D

More and more people are diverting off the N81 (through Aylesbury or up the Old Bawn Road) to go to junction 12 instead of Tallaght. Also estates like Marlfield and Ellensborough have made the Old Bawn Road busier.

kenco wrote:

Two Sheds you will find this hilarious I am sure but as it happens the second entrance is not into the estate (good idea I am sure) but purely into the carpark for the GAA pitches!!!

Tell me about it I first thought great that is a second exit for Woodstown estate so that will ease some of the traffic at the exit of woodstown. It can take 30 mins sometimes in the mornings just to get from my estate Hunterswood down to the Woodstown roundabout where 3 big estates all exit at one roundabout!! I think I will ring in a while will let you know what they say

I rang Road Planning authority and to be fair they rang me back. They said the plan is to have 2 QVCs going along there on either side - so the road is ready for when it gets approved- they say plan was by end of year but not looking likely yet so that is good enough news - not sure how far it goes on the other side though.

Advertisement