Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archaeology Volunteers

Options
  • 30-08-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a friend based in Balbriggan, Co Dublin who is fascinated with archaeology. Unfortunately he has never had the opportunity attend any courses, go on digs etc. He would dearly love to get involved with archaeology but is unsure where or how to start.
    He's asked me (he's not particularly computer literate) to have a look for him on the net. I have managed to find the school in Achill but are there others that would do introductory style courses closer to Dublin? Also do digs ask for volunteers? If so how would he get onto their volunteer list?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

well students and graduate students are always dying to get places on digs. But the demand is very high at the moment, therefore alot of unskilled foreign labour is used. Id recommend contacting some commercial companies such as ACS or VJK and asking for volunteer labour. I doubt it but it is worth a shot.

Anyone woking on sites much have completed a 1 day safepass training course at least.

G

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

It's nigh on impossible to get a volunteer position on a commericial dig for insurance reasons. You could get paid though as a G.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

Thanks for the help so far - looks like getting on a dig is more difficult than he imagined! And does anybody have any suggestions re a course/school nearer to Dublin than the one in Achill?
    Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There are a few commercial archaeology companies working on the M3 route. I would look them up in the Golden Pages, ring them all and see if they have any work going. ACS is the name of one.

Genealogy Forum Mod

kcools

UCD run a degree in archaeology, I believe you can also take night courses.

g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

Again thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check out the night courses possibility at UCD. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

If you check out the Discovery Programme they have a training excavation on during the summertime in Tulsk. They probably only take students but you could always get in touch to see if they can make an exception!

Your friend could get in touch with a local hostory society who might have talks on local archaeological sites that might interest him- it's not all about the digging! Also, the National Museum usually have lecture series, check out their website.

Working on a commercial site mightn't be what your friend would expect as those positions are usually anout getting the job done than learning, the interpretation usually isn't left to the General Operatives!

Even some local archaeology/history books might be good to get started.

That tulsk dig is 900 euro for the 4 weeks. 900 euro you pay them !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was looking to do some myself a while back. I contacted the NRA and the nice man there sent me a lovely email with info. Unfortunatly I had to put my Indiana Jones dream on hold, as I came off the dole and now I don't even have time to bang sticks together :(

Dear Blah,
    With regard to the above, as I said on the phone, unfortunately the National Roads Authority (NRA) does not employ fieldwork staff directly; all NRA-funded archaeological work is conducted by commercial archaeology consultancies following a tendering process. I have included a list of Irish archaeological companies and suggest that you contact them to seek fieldwork opportunities. All those listed below have websites, you might visit these and try emailing them in order to expedite things. Best of luck.

Kind regards,

Nice NRA man

PS
    Archaeological Consultancy Services Ltd is the company working on the M3 project.

Headland Archaeology Ltd
    Unit 4b
    Europa Enterprise Park
    Midleton
    Co. Cork

Archaeological Consultancy Services Ltd
    21 Boyne Business Park
    Greenhills
    Drogheda
    Co. Louth

CRDS Ltd
    Unit 4