Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Sligo-Dublin Train

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Wow, Sligo station looks like a dump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I saw the new train pass through Coolmine level crossing this morning at 8:50am, heading toward Sligo. Looks good.

WRT the CCTV, while it is good that it is being recorded, the inability of the driver to view CCTV while the train is moving could hinder action in the case of onboard disturbances.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I passed the new train just outside Connolly this morning. She had Sligeach up as her destination and the last 2 carriages were definitely empty, not sure about the first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daymobrew wrote:
    I saw the new train pass through Coolmine level crossing this morning at 8:50am, heading toward Sligo. Looks good.

WRT the CCTV, while it is good that it is being recorded, the inability of the driver to view CCTV while the train is moving could hinder action in the case of onboard disturbances.

Must have been on the same train!

It was very small. It looked less than the 4 carriage system that is used normally by irish rail.

Looked good though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Slice wrote:
    Wow, Sligo station looks like a dump

On what level? Its no Boombridge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

when will all the new ones be in operation between sligo and dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

kearnsr wrote:
    Must have been on the same train!

It was very small. It looked less than the 4 carriage system that is used normally by irish rail.

Looked good though

The 22000 Class come in three car sets (there will be six car sets delivered from next year). However, remember that the seating capacity of a 3 car train is more than a four car 29000. It might look smaller, but there is a greater seating density.

when will all the new ones be in operation between sligo and dublin

The trains are currently either engaged in driver testing on the Sligo line or in commissioning tests in the Limerick area. Once the engineers are satisfied that these are complete, then there will be a period of "in-service testing". This will involve substituting a 22000 for a 29000 probably for one return trip to/from Sligo. I would hazard a guess that the 1105 ex-Dublin/1455 ex-Sligo are probably the likely candidates for this.

As to when this will be....genuinely it is a case of wait and see, but it should not be too far away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

It looks good anyway. Cant wait to see them on all the lines. Nice to see all the local TD's and Councillors out and about to see the train! Typical Politicians - go to the opening of an envelope!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

fitzyshea wrote:
    Nice to see all the local TD's and Councillors out and about to see the train! Typical Politicians - go to the opening of an envelope!:)

It would be good to see local politicians and chamber of commerce types actually use it when travelling on business. A vote of confidence in the rail link.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You mean the idiot politicians who complained when they gave sligo a proper train and wanted the commuter ones?

It does seem a bit silly that the driver can't view the CCTV - I'm guessing this is a 'point and click' setting to change for someone at connoly with a laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Saw one earlier (at Coolmine also, as it happens). Looked very sleek, especially compared to the lumbering 29000 going the other way a few seconds later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

are these going to be the best inter city trains we are getting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Yeah there's loads of the 22000 class in and around Limerick Station. Was in one myself...not bad now...not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

daymobrew wrote:

When the train is moving the driver should not be destracted from controlling the train for anything. I can't think of many on-board situations that are worth the risk of a driver missing a danger signal.

If there is something that requires an immediate stop passengers can always use the emergency alarm to contact the train crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

John R wrote:
    When the train is moving the driver should not be destracted from controlling the train for anything. I can't think of many on-board situations that are worth the risk of a driver missing a danger signal.
    Yes, this was the reason given by the Irish Rail employee in the YouTube video.

KC61 wrote:
    The 22000 Class come in three car sets (there will be six car sets delivered from next year). However, remember that the seating capacity of a 3 car train is more than a four car 29000. It might look smaller, but there is a greater seating density.

I thought the seating denisty was smaller.

I red some blurb that they had more tables so i assumed they had less space. Is the actual carriage longer? Or has the leg room go down?

kearnsr wrote:
    I thought the seating denisty was smaller.

I red some blurb that they had more tables so i assumed they had less space. Is the actual carriage longer? Or has the leg room go down?

The coaches are longer, and have more seats - remember that a 29000 is designed for standee commuters rather than seated!!

Seating legroom in the 22000 is more than adequate - they are some of the best designed rolling stock seen in these islands.

A 4-car 29000 has 187 seats (including 2 tip-up seats).

A 3-car 22000 set has 192 seats.

The 6-car sets will have 378 seats (less than 2 3-car trains due to having a first class/buffet coach). While this is less than a standard Mk 3 train (461 seats assuming 5 standard coaches, 1 composite (half first, half standard) and 1 buffet), the increase in frequency on all routes should spread the load more evenly among the trains.

For example, Dublin-Sligo currently has 4 4-car trains per day and one 6 piece Mk 2. This is a total of roughly 1098 seats depending on the Mk 2 stock used.

If (as proposed) there are 7 trains per day then that will be a total of either 1536 seats if the stock is 6 x 3-car and 1 using 2x3-car or 1434 seats if the 2x3 car-set is replaced with a 6-car set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Bards

KC61 wrote:
    The coaches are longer, and have more seats - remember that a 29000 is designed for standee commuters rather than seated!!

Seating legroom in the 22000 is more than adequate - they are some of the best designed rolling stock seen in these islands.

A 4-car 29000 has 187 seats (including 2 tip-up seats).

A 3-car 22000 set has 192 seats.

The 6-car sets will have 312 seats (less than 2 3-car trains due to having a first class/buffet coach). While this is less than a standard Mk 3 train (461 seats assuming 5 standard coaches, 1 composite (half first, half standard) and 1 buffet), the increase in frequency on all routes should spread the load more evenly among the trains.

For example, Dublin-Sligo currently has 4 4-car trains per day and one 6 piece Mk 2. This is a total of roughly 1098 seats depending on the Mk 2 stock used.

If (as proposed) there are 7 trains per day then that will be a total of either 1536 seats if the stock is 6 x 3-car and 1 using 2x3-car or 1434 seats if the 2x3 car-set is replaced with a 6-car set.

that's all very well in good, but the fact is people cannot spread their journey's throughout the whole day. Hence why there is and will always be a morning/evening peak

Bards wrote:
    that's all very well in good, but the fact is people cannot spread their journey's throughout the whole day. Hence why there is and will always be a morning/evening peak

I think the point is that it gives people choice. If you have one am and pm peak service in each direction you have no choice but to get it. If you have an extra service after the peak some people may prefer to use that.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote:

That is true for commuter services, but for long distance Intercity travelling there is far greater flexibility as to when people can make journeys. And if there is a greater spread of trains (say for example every two hours to Waterford/Galway with extras at peak hours) rather than the current service levels that can have three hour gaps, then it should spread the loadings too.

These trains will be used for Intercity services, not commuter journeys (excepting the five 6-car sets for delivery in 2009 to replace the Mk 3 push/pull sets).

Advertisement