Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fox ammo

Options
  • 30-08-2007 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi lads,
    ive been using winchester ammo {super subs hp and laser super sonic} on rabbits with great effect, would these kill a fox.
    regards, tommy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm pretty sure these are .22LR rounds, am I correct?
    If so, yes, they will kill a fox, but they'd require very precise shot placement (brain shot) to ensure a quick and humane dispatch for the quarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Rovi wrote:
    I'm pretty sure these are .22LR rounds, am I correct?
    If so, yes, they will kill a fox, but they'd require very precise shot placement (brain shot) to ensure a quick and humane dispatch for the quarry.
    Also I have been informed in a previous thread that 80 Yards is the maximum distance for Fox with this type of Gun/Ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I used CCI Velocitor on foxes last year and found them quite effective out to max' 80yrds. I would lie up in a field where I knew foxes were and call them in. Since then I went up to a Magnum and routinly take foxes at up to 120 yrds. I like the magnum it can be used on smaller game and at night it doesn't wake the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

I used CCI Velocitor on foxes last year and found them quite effective out to max' 80yrds. I would lie up in a field where I knew foxes were and call them in. Since then I went up to a Magnum and routinly take foxes at up to 120 yrds. I like the magnum it can be used on smaller game and at night it doesn't wake the neighbours

what are the best times apart from night to hunt foxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Dawn and Dusk. However during the day can be fruitful A neighbour of mine was loosing chickens and ducks during the day, she saw the fox at around 15.00 day in day out. I waited in a shed and got him. They are creatures of habit and if they are getting good grub even in the day they'll chance it.

If your trying daytime
    • watch the wind
    • good camo
    • call them in
    and patience
    The warreners dvd is good

• Advertisement
Advertisement