Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any opinions Nokia N73 versus E65 on 3

Options
  • 30-08-2007 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a pay monthly phone on 3. I've narrowed my search down to either the Nokia N73 or the E65. Has anyone used either phone and have an opinion of it. Particularly the camera on the N73 is it actually any good and does the WiFi work well on the E65?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I only got the E65 a couple of days ago so still trying to figure it all out yet but the wifi was the main reason for getting that model over any of the others, and figured I didn't need the gimick of a camera pointing at my ugly mug during phone calls either. So far I've actually got more use out of the wifi connection though rather than the 3G connection for browsing and apart from it having trouble initially finding networks with a hidden ssid it has no problem once it knows about them. The camera on the E65 is only 2M and has no "flash", but I have a proper camera for taking photos anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Anthony_1980

hey i have a N73 a few weeks now

camera is 3.2 cybershot and has auto flash

very good camera and like nokia is easy to use

had a sony ericsson k800i what aload of crap , so aukward to use

N73 is not the smallest phone but not big either and is quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The N73 camera is NOT cybershot. That's SOny Ericsson branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Confused.

The E65 does not show as having wifi on the 3 site, but it does on the nokia site. Can anyone confirm if the E65 supplied by 3 has the wifo function.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

e65 on 3 has wifi.
    Had a look on their website and the n73 is taken off which means its out of stock.
    I'd go with the e65 anyway, the only thing the n73 has better is the camera (my opinion ok:D:D).
    Anyone notice any improvement in their customer care, I called them recently to inform them of a problem I was having calling my gf phone, got a call back that evening from tech support and issue solved, hopefully a step in the right direction for 3 (not calling back is my biggest gripe with them)
    anyway as i said OP ya e65 on 3 has wifi:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Thanks, in that case looks to be the best phone for me at the moment. I think I will go with that.

Cheers.

no worries, we are all here to help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

E65 camera is bloody awful one of the worst 2mp cameras I've seen. Not the sturdiest phone in the world either very easy to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

If you text a lot the n73 keypad will probably annoy you now and again - you'll wish you'd gone with the e65 which in turn and as already mentioned doesn't have the best cam, and a case cover that scratches and peels of easily if not treated well (or get a good krusell!)! Even though I quite like my n95, I personally don't like sliders, but the e65 at least has a usable keypad, and the slider feels sturdy enough! The black n73 is btw the single biggest dirt magnet there is (dyson should be able to incoporate it in their next vacuum cleaner design...) - 5 minutes out of the box, and it looks like a 5 year old phone....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I've a N73 and the photos are very good quality, streets ahead of a friends e65.
    The N73 does crash quite a bit, especially if you take a few photos in a row... also if you try to turn off the phone in silent mode it hangs. but plenty of apps available for the n73 out there, with Nokia maps being the pick of the bunch (works with all nokia symbian phones).
    Friends e65 is a way classier phone and the wifi is dead simple to use - main reason for getting one.
    IMHO wait for the n95 to come out on 3 network - I've been told by customer support that it will be released - due to customer requests. Price should be reasonable due to it being out on Vodafone already here at good price.
    N95 Pros: Great 5mp camera and video, 8gb memory, gps chip
    Cons: nokia symbian software.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

gman2k wrote: »
    The N73 does crash quite a bit, especially if you take a few photos in a row... also if you try to turn off the phone in silent mode it hangs.

they are bugs in an old firmware for the N73, they have been several firmware updates since then.

they are bugs in an old firmware for the N73, they have been several firmware updates since then.

I've updated my N73 using Nokia software updater as far as I can go. I believe that the updates are also dependant on what network you are registered to. I have seen on other forums more uptodate firmware versions than what is offered to me on the Nokia site.
    So even after updating, the glitches are still there.
    A guy I know had an N73 as well, and it annoyed him so much he smashed it on the floor, went out and got an N95 and has never been happier!

I've updated my N73 using Nokia software updater as far as I can go. I believe that the updates are also dependant on what network you are registered to. I have seen on other forums more uptodate firmware versions than what is offered to me on the Nokia site.
    So even after updating, the glitches are still there.
    A guy I know had an N73 as well, and it annoyed him so much he smashed it on the floor, went out and got an N95 and has never been happier!

Im on 3 also. They still have very old branded firmware, so I just changed the product code and updated to the latest unbranded firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

I've a N73 and the photos are very good quality, streets ahead of a friends e65.
    The N73 does crash quite a bit, especially if you take a few photos in a row... also if you try to turn off the phone in silent mode it hangs. but plenty of apps available for the n73 out there, with Nokia maps being the pick of the bunch (works with all nokia symbian phones).
    Friends e65 is a way classier phone and the wifi is dead simple to use - main reason for getting one.
    IMHO wait for the n95 to come out on 3 network - I've been told by customer support that it will be released - due to customer requests. Price should be reasonable due to it being out on Vodafone already here at good price.
    N95 Pros: Great 5mp camera and video, 8gb memory, gps chip
    Cons: nokia symbian software.....

Any idea when the N95 will be released on 3, I have a N73 at the moment and there doesn't seem to be anything interesting on 3 at the moment,and I'm due an upgrade soon, was contemplating going back to Vodafone(shudder) to get the N95.

Thanks

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Any idea when the N95 will be released on 3, I have a N73 at the moment and there doesn't seem to be anything interesting on 3 at the moment,and I'm due an upgrade soon, was contemplating going back to Vodafone(shudder) to get the N95.

Thanks

spoke to 3 CS recently and they confirmed to me that they will be bringing it in due to customer interest, but could not give a timeline.
    As usual, ROI gets the s**t end of the stick from the mobile operators.... just look at the iPhone pricing fiasco with O2.

Im on 3 also. They still have very old branded firmware, so I just changed the product code and updated to the latest unbranded firmware.

Nadia Cool Aunt, can you expand on this???? What do you mean by product code? Did you select another phone from the list? Any links
    cheers

It voids the warranty so I dunno if i can post such information here, but google unbranding N73 and you'll get what you want.

spoke to 3 CS recently and they confirmed to me that they will be bringing it in due to customer interest, but could not give a timeline.
    As usual, ROI gets the s**t end of the stick from the mobile operators.... just look at the iPhone pricing fiasco with O2.

Thanks for the heads up Gman, will hold back a bit now and see if they release it, light at the end of the tunnel afterall.

It voids the warranty so I dunno if i can post such information here, but google unbranding N73 and you'll get what you want.

Cheers Damo, I'll try old friend Mr. google. Phone is out of warranty period anyhow, so here goes nothing...

I see the Nokia N95 has been released on Meteor for €299 Bill Pay, not very competitive, IMO.

Thats mad Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have an N73 for nearly a year now with the latest firmware. Camera is great but the phone itself can be slow to respond. Drives me mad sometimes. Im eager to get a new phone.

Bring back the days when you press the menu button on your phone and a split second later the menu is displayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

unless everyone on this thread is referring to the n95-2, the n95-1 has been available on 3 for a few months now

unless everyone on this thread is referring to the n95-2, the n95-1 has been available on 3 for a few months now

Have you a link please?

Thanks

N95 is out on 3 in their stores

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aktelmiele

I have the E65 with 3

Pretty happy with the phone but I hate the 3 service.

They gave me the phone for free after complaining about the service.:)

Wouldnt get texts until I restarted the phone:confused:

Not really into the camera or 3g as I have my own camera and use the WIFI which is pretty good.

Used the wifi / 3G in conjunction with Google maps to find my location in Riga on Paddys weekend. Worked well.

One point though... DO NOT AND I MEAN DO NOT DROP IT!!

Dropped mine twice and its getting a bit duffed up.

But otherwise great phone.

Have you a link please?

No link, but i know CPW have it.

No link, but i know CPW have it.

Thanks didn't know that, wonder why it's not on their online store?

Another question, anyone using the LG Viewty? Any opinions?

n95 is 549 on 3pay and between 329 and 429 on billpay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

faceman wrote: »
    I have an N73 for nearly a year now with the latest firmware. Camera is great but the phone itself can be slow to respond. Drives me mad sometimes. Im eager to get a new phone.

Bring back the days when you press the menu button on your phone and a split second later the menu is displayed!
    buy a nokia 3200:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ricky91t wrote: »
    buy a nokia 3200:p

nokia 6210 ftw!!!! ;)

Advertisement