Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - New Terminal

Options
  • 29-08-2007 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

From RTE
    Works on new terminal could begin in weeks
    Wednesday, 29 August 2007 22:43
    Construction of the new terminal at Dublin Airport could begin within weeks, according to the Airport Authority's Chief Executive Declan Collier.

Earlier today An Bord Pleanála gave the green light for a €609m project for a new runway and terminal at the airport.

Phase one of the new terminal was passed, subject to 30 conditions, however a proposed further expansion was refused.

AdvertisementThis means the new terminal's floor space will be kept at 75,000sq m, rather than 92,000, as had been proposed under a phase two development.

An Bord Pleanála has granted permission for the new runway subject to 31 conditions.

Condition three of the planning stipulates the new runway cannot be used for flights between 11pm and 7am.

Another condition stipulates that the airport cannot exceed 65 flights within the hours of 11pm to 7am.

Developers must also come to a voluntary arrangement with schools and houses in the vicinity to provide insulation free of charge.

The runway and terminal building are both dependent on metro north being provided.

Ryanair has said it will challenge An Bord Pleanála's decision approving the second terminal at Dublin Airport in the High Court.

Loads of hand grenades in that report.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I wish Ryanair would just stop and let the thing be built. Yes, flights would be cheaper if they built it. However I have flown in enough Ryanairports to know that I would rather spend the extra money for comfortable surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

If I was a FR shareholder I would be asking questions at their next AGM .

What financial gain do they see from objecting to this ? it must be costing them money in legal fees etc.

I too think the T2 project is a little ' overblown ' and possibly in the wrong place ( depending if the metro ever got built ) .... but lets just get it done so we can fly out of an airport that doesn't resemble the black hole of Culcutta every Monday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Wouldn't Ryanair be better off trying to buy Baldonnel and build their own terminal there. Although it would not fit the profile of the usual Ryanair airports, unless they called it Kilkenny airport of course:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Ryanair are trying to stifle competition from Aer Lingus and also gain a control of Dublin Airport.

It was pointed out on the radio yesterday by a DAA official that Ryanair charge a check-in fee of €12 per passenger and yet DAA's fee for passenger handling only amounts to €6 per passenger - the lowest in Europe. That speaks for itself really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Happy as I am to fly with Ryanair on a frequent basis, I think Aer Lingus & the DAA really need to take the PR war to Ryanair. M.O'Leary and his crew get away with too much messing on the news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ryanair has said it will challenge An Bord Pleanála's decision approving the second terminal at Dublin Airport in the High Court.
    The cheek of those b**tards to hold the city's airport to ransom like that. Does anyone know, is construction likely to start as planned in a few weeks considering the promised legal challenge, or do they have to hold off on it until it's settled by the courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wouldn't Ryanair be better off trying to buy Baldonnel and build their own terminal there.
    What and having loads of aircraft flying over Tony Ryan's Lyons House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

So, what exactly are Ryanair's unreasonable grounds for objection?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cast_iron wrote:
    So, what exactly are Ryanair's unreasonable grounds for objection?
    They insist that if the goverment gives them money, they'll build it better and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The issue from ryanair's poing of view appears to be what the airport is for. If it is for getting people on and off aircraft, then the whole thing is very expensive, and it is unfair to burden passengers and airlines with the cost of building it and operating it (since the cost will ultimately be passed on to these parties, and they will not have the choice of going somewhere else).

On the other hand, if the purpose of the airport is supposed to be an architectural set-piece, a monument welcoming people to Ireland, then why should the airlines and the passengers have to pay for it? It would be more appropriate to pay for it out of general government expenditure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

In Ryanair's point of looking at it the prefabs at gates A70 are probably overblown and gold plated.

Just checked Ryanair for Cork - Dublin
    "fare" 0.99
    Taxes and charges 22.74

DAA say they charge airlines only 6.34, so Ryanair are charging 16.40 extra.

Who's being unfair on who?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The DAA per passenger charge is not the only cost Ryanair incurs at the airport. They also have to pay to rent the stand, rent the checkins, and lots of other things.

Is it fair to pass it along as an extra charge? Doesn't make much difference, the passenger is going to have to pay in the end anyway.

Is the charge Ryanair says is due really a reflection of ground costs at the particular airport? I have no idea.

Advertisement