Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] 6 Month Review of HGV Strategy

Options
  • 29-08-2007 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dublincity.ie/press_news/news/6_month_review_of_hgv_strategy.asp
    6 Month Review of HGV Strategy

6 Month Review

The Dublin City Council HGV strategy was introduced on the 19th of February 2007 following the opening of the Dublin Port Tunnel. The HGV strategy provides for a ban on 5+ axle vehicles during the hours of 07.00-19.00 seven days a week from a designated cordon area and provides a limited permit scheme for 5+ axle vehicles that need to load / unload within the city centre area. In addition as the HGV cordon is a closed cordon around the port area an Eastlink a toll rebate scheme is operated by Dublin City Council for affected vehicles.

In operation the HGV strategy has resulted in dramatic reductions of 5+ axle vehicles within the city centre area of between 80- 94% on different routes within the cordon area. Since the opening of the Port Tunnel an average of around 10,500 HGVs per day use the tunnel and DCC now issue an average of 200 permits per day.

1. Dublin City Council now invites interested parties to make a submission on how the HGV strategy has operated, what impact it has, where there are any problems with the current arrangements and any suggestions for improvements or modification to any aspects of its current operation.

2. The HGV permit system is a fully on line system and submissions are invited from users as to how this system has worked and what improvements/ modifications could be made.

Dublin City Council Traffic department is committed to providing a comprehensive report on the first six months of operation of the HGV strategy. This report along with recommendations for any changes to the existing strategy arising from this public consultation will be presented to the City Councillors for their consideration.

Interested parties should send their submissions by Monday the 24th of September 2007 to :-

Mr. Brendan O’Brien
    Head of Technical Services ( Traffic )
    Roads & Traffic Department
    Dublin City Council
    Block 2 Floor 5
    Civic Offices
    Fishamble Street
    Dublin 8

Or by email to niall.bolger@dublincity.ie

Additional information regarding the HGV strategy and a map of the cordon is available on www.hgv.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well I have to say that as someone living just off Griffith Avenue, the port tunnel and HGV ban has a fabulous success.

I cycle daily down Griffith Avenue and in the past it use to be clogged by conveys of lorries coming out of the port and heading for the M1/M50. Now there isn't a truck to been seen and the area is much safer to cycle in and much more pleasant and easy going.

Also from where I work I've got a good view of the southern entrance to the tunnel and every time I look out I'm surprised at the very large number of trucks using the tunnel. It is shocking how many trucks must have been going through the city in the past and it must be having a big impact on the quays.

I hope they extend the ban to smaller trucks soon.

I see this as a positive first step to turning Dublin City into a pleasant modern European city!! IMO next they need to:

1) Move Dublin port out of Dublin up to Balbriggan.
    2) Build the outer orbital motorway, connecting with this port, thus the trucks can avoid the M50 when heading to Cork, Limerick, etc.
    3) Complete the Eastern By-pass
    4) Open the Eastern By-pass up to ordinary traffic.
    5) Ban all cars from Dublin city center

Really this all makes a lot of sense, I hope the government will implement this and I'd love to see them actually come out with a specific plan to implement it, a real goal for the positive development of Dublin city center.

Advertisement