Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What finish on interior woodwork

Options
  • 29-08-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭

When we bought our house back 2 years ago, the interior wood trims such as the skirting-boards and door surrounds were very badly installed, to the point that many of the skirting-boards have a 1.5 cm or greater gap between the board and the wall. Some have been filled in, but others have been left alone and are a disgrace!

Anyhow, all the interior wood appears to be (red?) deal with oak stain applied, which is nice, but it's anything from uniform from room to room.
    I want to start replacing the skirts, but what I can't figure out is what method the carpenter used to protect the wood after staining.

What I can describe is that there is a very thin layer of protection in the wood, unlike a varnish but not unlike French Polish. It's not fully matt, but is more like a sheen. It's hardly French Polish though, is it? I've tried using Ronseal polyurethane varnish, but this is too thick and sits on the grain of the wood.

Does anybody here have any clues as to what this finish may be? I want to keep to the style so that I can match the finish on the doors. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It could be oil with a stain in it?
    I used oil with white pigment in it on our floors this penetrates the wood and preserves it, you can get many different types of colour pigment white,yellow, green, brown etc etc etc.
    it is low sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi CJ.
    I did a bit of work on a new section of skirting, I stained it and scratched my head for a while... Then, I was in Atlantic's closing-down sale and grabbed the last two bottles of French Polish, and applied some to the skirt, just to see what would happen.

Well, blow me sideways with a feather. Sure enough, after two applications I had the same finish as what's all over the wood-work in the house.

Quandry sorted! French Polish it is then!

Advertisement