Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red kite found shot dead in Wicklow

Options
  • 29-08-2007 4:04pm

Efforts to revive Ireland's once extinct red kite population have been dealt a blow after a bird released in the Wicklow mountains was found shot dead, it was revealed today.

The bird, set free six weeks ago with 29 other kites, had been hit with shotgun pellets and was found on farmland north of Arklow yesterday.

Gardaí are investigating the killing which is believed to have happened between Sunday and yesterday.

Kites are protected under the Wildlife Act and have also been awarded the highest level of protection under European law.

The Golden Eagle Trust (GET), which is managing the project with the National Parks and Wildlife Service and the Welsh Kite Trust, said the loss was a major blow.

"Obviously, after all the hard work and support for the project in Wicklow, nationally and in Wales, it is very worrying to recover a shot kite so soon after they have been released," GET project manager Damian Clarke said. "But I must stress that the level of support from all the local farmers, landowners and local gun clubs and shooting syndicates has been excellent."

Red kites were driven to extinction in Ireland from shooting, trapping and poisoning even though they pose no threat to either game birds or livestock. Kites have a wingspan of up to 1.8m but with weak beaks and claws they are not powerful predators and feed mostly on carrion in the winter and small mammals, crows, insects and worms.

"We hope that all landowners can advise people shooting on their property that red kites must be left unmolested. These species are fully protected by the law and it is illegal to shoot red kites, by mistake or otherwise," Mr Clarke said. "It is very unfortunate that we should recover a shot kite during National Heritage week - it once again highlights the importance that everyone needs to play a role in protecting Ireland's natural and cultural Heritage."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

dursey wrote:
    "We hope that all landowners can advise people shooting on their property that red kites must be left unmolested.."

So now we're all shooting Red Kites!! As if we didin't have a bad enough rep. already!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I doubt that's what they meant pampers:
    I must stress that the level of support from all the local farmers, landowners and local gun clubs and shooting syndicates has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

How much lead would you have to give him???

Only kidding, heres a pic of one. You would hardly mistake him for a pigeon!!!!... http://www.noticenature.ie/Red_Kite.html

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

We still have the idiots that will shoot at anything in this country from road signs to the beautifull Red Kite. This bird poses no threat to any other form of wildlife except bugs and things.

I think that if anyone out there knows who did it, they should be reported to the Gardai or at least to there regional game club for immediate expulsion and more.

99.99999% of all shooters in Ireland are very responsible, we don't need to be blamed for the actions of a stupid idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

I hope whoever shot that beautiful bird has trouble sleeping. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Thats a piss poor show, it may have been an accident, anyone killing them on purpose would dispose of the carcass would they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

big bird for a mistake,
    i can see a f up between a hare and bunny but not in this case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

dursey wrote:

Shame on the person responsible.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

That kind of crap is going on around my area the whole time. We have been hard pressed to stop it, peregrenes, sparrowhawks, owls etc. !!!!!!!

I know one fool was caught in the act of shooting a bird of prey by some wildlife crowd, not sure which. There was no prosecution, that I know of, but I don't think he has guns anymore.

He wasn't a memebr of any local gun club nor won't be anytime soon !

Guys, make no mistake, in my mind this was no accident, this bird is very distincive in size, shape & silhouette.....

Shame, shame, shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

no doubt it was some ignorant fool who did it... and prob did not know what it was and did it for fun :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cmd17hmr

i saw a few during the week they were chasing a few crows lovely looking bird to watch.
    just trust sum eejit to give evry1 a bad rep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

Funny this should come up here as coincidentally I was talking to the Garda Sergeant for that area today and he told me about it.

Doesn't think there's any way of catching the culprit(s) unless someone tips them off. :mad:

There's no way of mistaking them for a pheasant with a five foot wingspan.

I cant believe that anybody could be so ignorant and stupid.

Clash wrote:

It isn't pheasant season yet ! That wouldn't be a good excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

some people are just d*ckheads plain and simple.
    ignorant bastards will ruin everything for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Clash wrote:

I cant believe that anybody could be so ignorant and stupid.

Five foot!!!! Wow thats a serious bird. Id love to see them in action.

I'd say it was shot by a tool (signpost shooter) who had a go and put a few pellets in it. If it was intentionally shot out of badness the carcass would be buried unless of course it died from it woulds some time later, Im sure they did an autopsy and could tell?

Shooters are in prime position to report back sightings of these birds and others. It would do our sport wonders. The next time there is a thread about difficulty getting a licence I will think of this. Think about it...the local Super there is investigating this and probably has a lot of pressure on to get a result. No doubt its in his mind that he approved the licence for the guy that did it.He will probably tighten the reigns on future applications. I would!!!!

Who causes us more difficulty? The Guards, Government, anti's?? For my two cents... its "fellow" shooters!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Theres a big write up on page 2 and 3 of the Indo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

one of the women in the office has just been reading about it somewhere. and low and behold now im taking the flak for it here whilst im trying to defend shooting and hunting in ireland.

you see what fools actions can do to the likes of people like us who enjoy the sport, i hope the w*nker that shot that bird falls over a fence and breaks his neck...... i really do.

alan123 wrote:
    Think about it...the local Super there is investigating this and probably has a lot of pressure on to get a result. No doubt its in his mind that he approved the licence for the guy that did it.He will probably tighten the reigns on future applications. I would!!!!

Who causes us more difficulty? The Guards, Government, anti's?? For my two cents... its "fellow" shooters!

Couldn't agree more.

Surely someone out there knows who was shooting on their land, or who they were shooting with. There is a Garda confidental telephone line. These guys must be reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

The farmer who's land it came down on reported it to the Gardai. Obviously he knew nothing about it or who was responsible. It's very hard in country areas to know who is shooting or at what. You just hear the distant shots and think nothing of it, it's so commonplace.

• Advertisement

Clash wrote:
    The farmer who's land it came down on reported it to the Gardai. Obviously he knew nothing about it or who was responsible. It's very hard in country areas to know who is shooting or at what. You just hear the distant shots and think nothing of it, it's so commonplace.

Not landowners fault. Someone knows who did it. Hope they don't sleep too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

V Bull wrote:
    This bird poses no threat to any other form of wildlife except bugs and things.

I'm for the bugs and things!:D :D:D

John Tierney has has a letter on this subject printed in the Indo on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

John Tierney has has a letter on this subject printed in the Indo on Friday
    Got a link to it?

SMERSH wrote:
    Got a link to it?

leave it with me i'll get onto it

Advertisement