Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser etiquette

Options
  • 29-08-2007 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I my local supermarket I usually pay by laser card. I give them my card and they swipe it or put it in machine.... now usually in any other store you get to see the amount you are about authorise before entering your pin. However, in this shop they hit "ok" and then ask you to enter the pin.

I have questioned this in the past and told them that I am not going to enter the pin before I see how much they are debiting from my account - they generally tell me that is the way they have been trained.

I contacted the owner/manager and explained this to him and that he is wrong in what he is doing. He just told me that if ever there was a problem there would not be an issue and he would sort it but was not willing to change the way it is done.

Is he allowed to do this? Can I report him to anyone? The shop is also notorious for over charging, not giving the discounts displayed, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

can you think of any reason why the cashier would enter an incorrect amount?

also more than likely the tills are hooked up to the laser machine so the amount is automatically sent to the laser machine. I dont know that for a fact but id imagine thats how it is done.

I can see a reason for the company not honoring their offers etc but I cant see any benefit for the individual cashiers to overcharge your laser card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

PeakOutput wrote:
    Well I can think of one off the top of my head - cashback option.
    Agree with the OP, seems a bit strange - would always make a habit of checking till receipt with card receipt and making sure the two match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

PeakOutput wrote:

also more than likely the tills are hooked up to the laser machine so the amount is automatically sent to the laser machine. I dont know that for a fact but id imagine thats how it is done.

I can see a reason for the company not honoring their offers etc but I cant see any benefit for the individual cashiers to overcharge your laser card.

Human error is something that we are all subject to. If the cashier puts the wrong amount in and I can't see it before I enter pin then it all has to be reversed etc.... If they let me see the total I am entering the pin for then it eliminates - or greatly reduces - the room for error.

This is the only shop that I have come accross that does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Human error is something that we are all subject to. If the cashier puts the wrong amount in and I can't see it before I enter pin then it all has to be reversed etc.... If they let me see the total I am entering the pin for then it eliminates - or greatly reduces - the room for error.

This is the only shop that I have come accross that does it.

PeakOutput wrote:
    Cos the cashier is a tard? They hit the wrong key? They made a mistake? They are not perfect? I am sure I could come up with more.
    PeakOutput wrote:
    Only in larger shops or supermarkets. Everywhere else the amount is keyed in manually.
    PeakOutput wrote:
    I would think that a cashier intentionally overcharging would be the least like reason for you being overcharged. Honest mistake is the most likely IMO.

And remember folks, it comes out of your account instantly, but takes 3 days to return if there is a mistake that is spotted after the transaction is complete. (actually, lazer doesn't sometimes, but visa and mastercard do, as does ,my UK maestro even in ireland.)

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

You don't have to authorise anything until you know the value you're authorising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Slice wrote:
    You don't have to authorise anything until you know the value you're authorising.

I agree. I would tell them to cancel the transaction and start again. There is no way I would enter my pin without confirming the amount myself.

F*ck the queue of people behind me, I would stand there with my most miserable face on :mad: and continue to refuse to enter my pin no mater how long it takes them to re-do the transaction (but then I'm like that :D:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

all of the major supermarket chains an big retaillers have machines where by the till is linked to the pin machine and the staff member does not interfere with the keypad so the value on the till is the value you are authorising.

The other machines where they manually enter the value in the card machine, I dont think I've ever seen that you are blindly authorising a transaction. There has to be some regulation where by the retailer has to agree a final price with you before you pay.
    Otherwise it would be akin to 'give me €50 and I'll give you some change'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I was using my laser card today and took notice of this and on each occasion, the amount remained displayed on the screen until I started actually entering my pin number. I didn't have to press 'enter' first or anything. Once was in Dunnes (where it's all linked up) and the other time was in my local petrol station where the shop assistant manually entered the amount. I always check the amount before entering my pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I my local supermarket I usually pay by laser card. I give them my card and they swipe it or put it in machine.... now usually in any other store you get to see the amount you are about authorise before entering your pin. However, in this shop they hit "ok" and then ask you to enter the pin.

I have questioned this in the past and told them that I am not going to enter the pin before I see how much they are debiting from my account - they generally tell me that is the way they have been trained.

I contacted the owner/manager and explained this to him and that he is wrong in what he is doing. He just told me that if ever there was a problem there would not be an issue and he would sort it but was not willing to change the way it is done.

Is he allowed to do this? Can I report him to anyone? The shop is also notorious for over charging, not giving the discounts displayed, etc.

You brought it up with the owner/manager and he seems to not want to change his ways ? easy solution........dont shop there anymore !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

oleras wrote:
    You brought it up with the owner/manager and he seems to not want to change his ways ? easy solution........dont shop there anymore !

I only buy the basics there. I then check the receipt very carefully. I do my main shop elsewhere.

However, it still annoys me that they do it and by choosing to shop somewhere else won't solve the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is the super market part of a chain? Maybe ring up their head office and say that a franchise holder is using the Chip&Pin incorrectly or else take note of who supplies the Chip&Pin hardware and call them. If that gets no joy just pay with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Not only can you see the total on the til pretty much everywhere, CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!
    I can't believe you would actually make such a song and dance over this :)

Advertisement