Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight gain after quitting smoking.

Options
  • 29-08-2007 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Who has gained weight after quitting the cigarettes?
    I quit cigarettes through hypnosis ,4 months ago.
    I quit booze ,17 years ago ,through AA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Not speaking from experience here (due to my extreme lack of willpower), but the key seems to be eating lots of fruit. That's the impression I get from the posts here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

Terry wrote:
    Not speaking from experience here (due to my extreme lack of willpower), but the key seems to be eating lots of fruit. That's the impression I get from the posts here anyway.

I'd agree with that. At first, the hardest smoke to miss was the one at the end of lunch in work, where I used to go to the smoking shed, so I started to replace that with a bar of chocolate, or a donut or something. As a result, I got bigger.
    Soon enough, I realized this and replaced the sweets and rubbish with fruit instead, along with increasing my exercise, so I took it under control. I found madarins to be useful to have by my desk and also a large bottle of water to swig from.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It seems that Mandarin oranges have helped a lot of people.
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they are easy to peel, which gives you something to do with your hands and the vitamin C boost from eating them.

Oh yeah, I bought one of those cigarette shaped thingies with the taste of tobacco off them ( it doesn't really taste like tobacco, but meh) and they can be helpful in quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I put on about a stone in the initial few months. I tended to eat more desserts, buiscuits etc. after meals as a replacement for the cigarettes and I seemed to be stuck in the fridge at other times trying to occupy myself. The craving for food and the weight gain gradually wore off. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

In March 99 I was 12 stone 10 pounds when I stopped smoking, by october I was a stone heavier and by 2001 I was 15 stone. I decided in 2002 to go for low fat milk and ditto mayonaise and as I dont like chocalate that was never a problem. I got to 14 stone by june 2003 and took up bike racing. It was very hard and I wasnt good enough and in October I went to Crete and did 500 miles in two weeks and came home 12 stone ten pounds. I was a 40 year old slim 6 foot three bike racer and now Im pretty good at it and anything from 12 st 10 to 14 stone but very fit and happy with that. The low fat stuff was my way of taking it up as a problem to be faced and conquered as I had always previously been extremely fit even with 20-40 Majors a day and it worked as I ended up not doing anything that interferes with my cycling. When I was in Greece I had ten tubs of 500 gram Hagen Daz over two weeks, it didnt matter what I ate as I was getting so much excerise and I nearly won a veterans race up a 17 km mountain and I cant climb but the mountains of Crete are good training. If you want it to happen get up go out , do what you need to and it will happen. I sit on my aassos sometimes but as I do so much at others I can get away with it. I intend to be the best vet for my age by the time Im 50,why? why not

• Advertisement
Advertisement