Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a Failte/FAS Course the same as 'Actively Looking For Work'?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm working full time at the moment, but I would like to leave my job and do a 16 week Failte Ireland Course, with the aim of working in that area afterwards, and further study also.

My situation seems complicated to me, so I need someone who knows their stuff to maybe clear things up a bit for me?!

I'm renting in town at the moment, but when I quit the job I'd have to move back home, as my rent is too much without full-time work.

So if I quit, move home and have a place on the course, will I recieve the €185 a week benefit while doing the course, or will I have to wait 9 weeks first, seeing as I quit my job?

Also, do you get benefit while living at home? They cant expect you to pay rent, bills and food with €185 a week can they?

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Is the course full-time or part-time and will you be getting a training allowance with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Thanks for the reply. The course is full-time (Mon - Fri 9-5) for 16 weeks, and the trainig allowance is €185, or in their words;
    'If you are over 18, you receive €165.80 weekly or the equivalent to your entitlement on social welfare.'
    which I think is just old, and should be €185.

This make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

The problem may be getting onto the course. To be eligible for most FAS courses, you must be unemployed for 6 months. This will certainly be the case if the course is oversubscribed, but if they are finding it hard to full spaces, they can be leniant on this. Give the training provider a ring and sus them out about this.

Once you are on the training course, you will automatically get the training allowance, and may be eligible for rent allowance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

How long will it take social welfare take to process the application?

Ask at your social welfare office.

I am thinking of doing a course as well.

You should get a medical card plus you may get some personal tax back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

If you are on a full time Fas Course and Getting a training allowance then you cannot claim Jobseeker's Benefit at the same time. See the extract from the Jobseeker's Benefit Section on www.welfare.ie

'JB is not payable where a person is in receipt of an allowance in respect of any full-time or part-time course of education, training or development (including a course run by FÁS or VEC). S/he does not continue to satisfy the conditions for receipt of an unemployment payment on the grounds that s/he is not considered to be available for full-time work.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Was just in for an 'interview' type chat with Failte there, cleared things up for me. Might be useful info for anyone else in the same position as me.

The 'Training Allowance' is not the Dole. It's just matched to the same amount as you would recieve if you were claiming Dole.

You don't have to 'sign on' to the Dole to be allowed do a Failte course. You just have to be unemployed, even by just a week. You can apply for a course while still employed, and if accepted can leave you're job and do the course.

They send you forms offering you a place, one of which has to be stamped by the local welfare office stating that you are not recieving any Benefits from them.

As soon as you start the course the Allowance will be paid into your bank account each week. Also, if it's a full time course you cant work during it.

I think thats about it. Thanks for the replies guys.

Advertisement