Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel agent cancellation??

Options
  • 28-08-2007 11:54am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Need some serious help here.
    Just received a bill from a Tour operator for 2500 euros for a holiday we cancelled.

They say that Im liable for this amount because of a late cancellation which as far as Im concerned was not--I cancelled and accepted that I lost my deposit and thought that was the last of it till this morning.

Holiday was cancelled 7 weeks before I was due to fly but they are disputing this saying they never received the cancellation letter.

Dont really know what to do because I never sent the letter by registered post and if it went missing in the post I have no comeback and according to their T & Cs I am liable to pay this amount.

Any ideas??Theyre talking about going to court to recoup their losses.

Richie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think you may be in a very bad position, why didn't you send a registered letter? Never trust companies in this sort of situation, it's so easy to get screwed over.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Looks like Im fooked alright.
    According to the ITAA this is very rarely implemented by their members as they usually sell the holiday and make their money from a second party(plus they get my lost deposit aswell)

The company in question is NOT a member of the ITAA and is not regulated by even the UK travel agents association and has been screwing passengers over for a while now--changing bookings,turning 14 night holidays into 13 night by pushing the outgoing flight out a few hours and not doing the same on the incoming.

My solicitor has told me to fight it in the courts if it gets that far as I have a case--It my word against theirs as to whether I cancelled it or not--Af far as theyre concerned I didnt cancel and as far as I am I did.Nothing in writing either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hellrazer wrote:

My solicitor has told me to fight it in the courts if it gets that far as I have a case--It my word against theirs as to whether I cancelled it or not--Af far as theyre concerned I didnt cancel and as far as I am I did.Nothing in writing either way.

Hmmmm......I would get a 2nd opinion on this if I were you. From an outsiders point of view, the last written instruction was of you booking the holiday and paying a deposit. If they say they received no notification of cancellation and you can't proove you did cancel in time I personally think the judge will side with the travel agent (sh1te as it is).

If it does go to court you also run the risk of a hefty legal bill (both yours and theirs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

what you do have going for you is that in most terms and conditions you have to pay in full 6 or 8 weeks in advance of flying -why didnt they either contact you for payment or cancell the holiday for you as they hadnt recieved payment -there loss- fook them -check the terms

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

knighted_1 wrote:
    what you do have going for you is that in most terms and conditions you have to pay in full 6 or 8 weeks in advance of flying -why didnt they either contact you for payment or cancell the holiday for you as they hadnt recieved payment -there loss- fook them -check the terms

Their terms and conditions are correct--Payment in full 8 weeks before travelling.I cancelled 6-7 weeks before I was due to travel so I do owe them about another 200 euros which Im willing to pay but not 2500 like theyre stating I owe them.
    Their argument is that I didnt cancel.Yet I received no more invoices,demands for payment from them so I was under the impression that all had been cancelled and that was the end of it till I got this letter.

• Advertisement

The plot thickens.

Just received another letter dated 24th August 2007 asking me to pay the balance of the holiday which is due

"for a booking for 2 adults and 2 children travelling on 4th August 2007 to Palma,Majorca"

That is a direct quote from the letter.

Seems to me that my case is getting stonger after that.Shows that there is some internal problems with their systems.Asking me to pay for a holiday that I am supposed to be travelling on 4 weeks ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hellrazer wrote:
    The plot thickens.

Just received another letter dated 24th August 2007 asking me to pay the balance of the holiday which is due
    Correction, they are trying to create a paper trail to force you to pay it. I'd guess that they did indeed get your cancellation and now try to put the cash in their pockets instead by bluffing.

Nody wrote:
    Correction, they are trying to create a paper trail to force you to pay it. I'd guess that they did indeed get your cancellation and now try to put the cash in their pockets instead by bluffing.

But surely they`d try and put a date of a couple of months ago on the letter??

I mean asking me to pay now for a holiday that I would be back and all from makes them look totally stupid.

It actually states that "you are due to depart on 4th August 2007 and this balance is now payable"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Where is the travel agent based? You mentioned the UK in one of your previous posts..

Advertisement