Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing a laptop?

Options
  • 28-08-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, this is probably a really stoopid question, but i'm new to this laptop game so bear with me...

What happens when you close the screen of a laptop down when the laptop is still turned on? Does it automatically go into hibernation mode or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah it goes into Standby mode alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can configure what it does in Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced. Most laptops will standby or hibernate by default although I have turned that off myself (drove me mad.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

blorg wrote:
    You can configure what it does in Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced. Most laptops will standby or hibernate by default although I have turned that off myself (drove me mad.)

Oh can you? Nice one, I'd like to be able for it to do nothing when i close down the top, It pisses me off when i need to get the thing to boot back up again...

Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

My Dell 6400 goes into standby mode when I close the screen, very handy however it is not without it's flaws. Lately, it has started randomly turning on of it's own accord, causing it to get seriously hot the other day while it was in its bag! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

There is a fix for that I believe Fletch. Check Windows Update as I am nearly positive that I saw something recently relating to a fix for Hibernation/Sleep waking itself up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

Yeah Fletch also try Dell Support page for a Bios update for your laptop.
    Can be found in the Driver section....

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Not sure if it's Vista you are running but I think this is what I was remembering:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fix-sleep-mode-randomly-waking-up-issue-in-windows-vista/

Might help anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm running Windows XP MCE Edition, does that Vista fix apply to MCE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Steven_in_Cork

No but there will be settings in windows too wich allow the computer to come out of standby.
    Check properties of Lan and Modem in windows and bios.
    Also check dell site for bios / driver updates.

Advertisement