Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS shower of *******

Options
  • 28-08-2007 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Brought some stuff from china for the house and ups delivered yesterday, upon inspection fo the documents enclosed was a bill from ups for 67euros, the vaule of the goods was only 110USD

absolute outragous, it seems they have charged me VAT on the shipping cost too, can they do that??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yes they can.

you are liable for tax on the goods value plus the shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep. many times the shipping can cost far more than the item too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

and if you dont pay it you'll get a small claims court notification...(happened to me, i didn't see the bill!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

robbin thiefs..i have no problem paying VAT on the goods but shiping like, has anyone confirmed this with customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A+-Guru wrote:
    robbin thiefs..i have no problem paying VAT on the goods but shiping like, has anyone confirmed this with customs?
    It's always been like that .. you pay VAT on both goods and services. I mean, the goods wouldn't be of any use to you if they hadn't been delivered to you would they? Customs will tell you exactly the same.

Also UPS are merely collecting the VAT on behalf of Customs, so calling UPS names for doing their job isn't really appropriate, now is it?

• Advertisement

its a joke tho, paying vat on shipping, no problem paying vat on the goods them self,

if you buy something online in eu, you pay vat on the goods, your not charged VAT on the shipping too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Actually if you buy something from amazon.co.uk you are charged VAT on postage.

Was that €67 your total delivery charge? Or just the customs and VAT charge?

EDIT: My latest amazon.co.uk charges
    Item(s) Subtotal: £33.07
    Postage & Packing: £3.44
    Total Before VAT: £36.51
    VAT: £7.65
    Total for this Delivery: £44.16

67 was custom charge and vat, Vat was 43e

i was always under the impression u pay dutys etc on the goods and shipping, but VAT only on the goods

goods worth 110usb works out 80euro, so thats 50% VAT i was charged so defo VAT me on the shipping

shipping is not a goods so VAT shudant be charged as its not a goods?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You pay for VAT on shipping everywhere, even in Ireland!! Just most places will not show you a delivery price without VAT!!

ah well that explains everything lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

you pay vat on shipping every where -on every delivery charge in ireland from any company its a standard rate of 21% vat -

services are charged at 13.5% ie carpenters elec etc

in ireland ,delivery is classed as a luxury -fact-

ps

the only type of shipping you dont pay vat on is when you transport yourself in a taxi -kinda strange cause i would have thought that if you need something delivered its a nessecity and taking a cab is a luxury -but thats ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Have to say that UPS is my favourite shipping company ,most professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jameshayes wrote:
    and if you dont pay it you'll get a small claims court notification...(happened to me, i didn't see the bill!!)

You do know a business can't take you to small claims court ?

can you explain? why is that? is it because its a individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

A+-Guru wrote:
    can you explain? why is that? is it because its a individual?

yep , it only works the other way around...
    To be eligible to use the procedure, you, the "consumer" must have bought goods or services (or the service) for private use from someone selling them in the course of business. The procedure is not available for use by one business person against another.

Advertisement