Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Institute of Taxation

• 27-08-2007 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

I'm coming near the end of my ACCAs and am thinking of doing the tax exams. Do many people do these exams who aren't working directly in taxation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

cailinoBAC wrote:
    I'm coming near the end of my ACCAs and am thinking of doing the tax exams. Do many people do these exams who aren't working directly in taxation?

People do these exams for a variety of reasons so the the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

cailinoBAC wrote:

I also done the Acca exams and then did the tax exams. I was a bit disapointed in the content of the tax exams. I work in a small accountancy practice and my work involves a combination of sole trader accounts, audit, company secretarial and completion of tax returns. I think the tax exams are geared towards people working directly in taxation. For me, there was too much emphasis on legislation and case law, i.e learning Vat cases etc. I understand that the legislation and case law is the backup for the taxes and the cases are the reason for some of the legislation but I would have preferred a more practical emphasis to tax management. Most of the tax planning issues we studied were fairly straight forward - retirement relief, pension planning etc and I think you need to actually work in tax all the time to see how the planning issues would work.

I find it extraordinary that the Institute of tax does not have a technical advisory service. To be told there is a lot of information on the website is not a satisfactory answer when you need a response to a query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Re Robbie checkers comments

The best tax planning is one off and never seen as otherwise it will be attacked by the revenue;)

Re looking for advice from the tax institute, there are 2 issues:
    the first is liability, the second is it would be in competition with its members.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

Thats probably a fair point.

Advertisement