Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are ACCA 'chartered'?

• 27-08-2007 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭

hi

i dont have the intention of starting a whole topic on the different accounting bodies.

i just want to know if acca qualified are referred to as 'chartered accountants'? what letters do they have after their name?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Chartered accountants have ACA or FCA after their names and are members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (www.icai.ie)

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

JoeTurner wrote:
    Chartered accountants have ACA or FCA after their names and are members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland (www.icai.ie)

Joe
    likewise in uk www.icaew.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭seanieclarke

thanks for them replies.

so acca qualified are 'certified' as oppsed to 'chartered'?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭sabrina99

thats right, if someone says they are a chartered accountant, they are ACA.
    although afaik acca is chartered certified accountant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Are CIMA accountants not chartered also - Chartered Institute of Management Accountants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Seanie,

An ACCA is a Chartered Certified Accountant. Best of both worlds you could say.

It all depends on who got their first as to how they are called. There's even a distinction between ICAS, ICAEW, and ICAI. Because ICAS were first they are the only ones allowed to have the designation CA. The other two have to have ACA.

So, while you have to call yourself a Chartered Certified Accountant, you are still chartered. The charter being received by HM Queen Elisabeth the Second.

Anyone tells you different doesn't really understand what chartered means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I'm surprised at the number of replies saying ACCA isn't chartered. Just look up what the letters stand for!

smcgiff knows his stuff though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭kluivert

The ACCA received Chartered recognition in the 70's.

Yes they are chartered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

What's intersting is the amount of people who are so proud of the queens royal charter and want to be affiliated with it.

Bren1609 wrote:
    What's intersting is the amount of people who are so proud of the queens royal charter and want to be affiliated with it.

The next time you find yourself stuck on a sinking ship make sure you wave away the rescuers just because they've the term royal in their name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

I'll be sure to remember that. But why dont we have an Irish charter or equivalent?

Bren1609 wrote:
    I'll be sure to remember that. But why dont we have an Irish charter or equivalent?

Not a bad idea. It could be issued by the office of the president. Even the ICAI or CPA could apply for such. In fact, it would suit the CPA even more. It wouldn't be a Royal Charter, but that wouldn't matter. They'd still be chartered!

If I were in CPA I'd probably suggest this to the council. Chartered Public Accountant?

You heard it here first! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I thought ACCA members couldn't call themselves chartered accountants, it had to be chartered certified accountants? Is this not true? I know when I went for an interview with a firm I asked what accounting qualification they would want me to do if I got the job and they asked me which one I wanted to do. I said I was thinking of ACCA and they then said they would prefer me to do ACA, and one of the reasons for this is because if I did ACCA they said they would have to change their name from ________ chartered accountants.

I think its the same with CIMA, they can't call themselves chartered accountants, it has to be chartered management accountants. I know it doesn't make much difference but I'm pretty sure thats how it is.

Shambertine,

All I can do is point you to my prior post - numbered 7 above.

Anyone that says an ACCA is not a chartered accountant is at best being disingenuous.

And ...

'I said I was thinking of ACCA and they then said they would prefer me to do ACA, and one of the reasons for this is because if I did ACCA they said they would have to change their name from ________ chartered accountants.'

Somebody better tell all the big accountancy firms i.e. KPMG etc that they're not chartered accountants.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

KPMG are just called "KPMG Ireland", not "KPMG chartered accountants".

I think he was pointing out a small technicality in the title associated with ACCA accountants, not claiming that they have no charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Bren1609 wrote:

Pretty sad really.

Not even a potrait of the Queen on their wall of their ivory towers!

Snobbish brand notions.

We live in a Republic for petes sake.

Newaglish wrote:
    KPMG are just called "KPMG Ireland", not "KPMG chartered accountants".

I think he was pointing out a small technicality in the title associated with ACCA accountants, not claiming that they have no charter.

Newaglish,

I think he was pointing out that if he, as an ACCA, were an employee of a chartered firm the firm couldn't call themselves a chartered firm. I call bollix on that.

I think there are different rules regarding partners, but not employees.

I don't know the exact rule regarding partners, but employees are allowed.

Besides, a student ICAI isn't a chartered accountant, so perhaps they should change their sign on this basis?!?

We accountants talk about the perception gap pertaining to the general public. It's clear that it's not only the public that have the problems.

Cork wrote:
    Pretty sad really.

Not even a potrait of the Queen on their wall of their ivory towers!

Snobbish brand notions.

We live in a Republic for petes sake.

I live in a republic for many reasons. Pete's welfare has little to do with it.

Snobbish brands? If you're not interested in brands and what's behind them why bother associating yourself with any accountancy body?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carter3

ACA's are chartered accountants..all the rest are qualifieds.
    A firm cannot call themselves "Chartered accountants" unless 75% of the partners are chartered. No rules with regards to the employees.
    I'd imagine the reason they want you to go down the route of ACA is they own your soul for 3.5 years rather than with ACCA you can leave with 1months notice.
    I'm an ACA but I don't think anyone in the know would think they are superior to ACCAs. The ACA (ICAI) brand is marketed a lot better though...

carter3 wrote:
    ACA's are chartered accountants..all the rest are qualifieds.QUOTE]

Welcome to the boards, carter. Now...

What does chartered mean?

• Advertisement

Thanks..often read the threads but first post..

Not gonna get into an argument cos I know it's a grey area who's chartered and who isn't..

But an ACA is a Chartered Accountant and an ACCA is a Certified Chartered Accountant

Set up a firm as 2 ACCAs and call yourselves ABC Chartered Accountants and you'll be sued.

P.s. the training firm i trained with, the best partner by a long way was an ACCA

carter3 wrote:
    Thanks..often read the threads but first post..

Not gonna get into an argument cos I know it's a grey area who's chartered and who isn't..

But an ACA is a Chartered Accountant and an ACCA is a Certified Chartered Accountant

Set up a firm as 2 ACCAs and call yourselves ABC Chartered Accountants and you'll be sued.

P.s. the training firm i trained with, the best partner by a long way was an ACCA

And if they called themselves Certified Chartered Accountants they'd be sued too! :D

And as we're having a love in... My current boss is an ACA and he's the best I've ever worked with! And I'm 110% sure he doesn't look at the boards!!! :o

Basically, you're a chartered accountant if your body has a charter. It's that simple. How you refer to yourself depends on which order your body received your charter. Ever wonder why you've the first A in your designation? That's because ICAS got there before ye! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hmmm.... other than what you get to call yourself, does it actually matter? Like really? If you go for a job interview, are you gonna get turned away because you're ACCA or ACA?

Nope...as long as you are qualified. The only thing that's important is your experience..Anyway good luck and enjoy lost Saturdays for a few years!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

carter3 wrote:
    Nope...as long as you are qualified. The only thing that's important is your experience..Anyway good luck and enjoy lost Saturdays for a few years!

Ah that's grand. Now to pick a firm... and start a new thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

smcgiff wrote:
    Newaglish,

I think he was pointing out that if he, as an ACCA, were an employee of a chartered firm the firm couldn't call themselves a chartered firm. I call bollix on that.

Ah well, that certainly is bollix. I was thinking more along the lines of partners (or am I wrong there too?)

I think all bodies have a limit on non-members serving as partners. Carter3 says ¾ which sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The Bull McCabe

carter3 wrote:
    ACA's are chartered accountants..all the rest are qualifieds.
    A firm cannot call themselves "Chartered accountants" unless 75% of the partners are chartered. No rules with regards to the employees.
    I'd imagine the reason they want you to go down the route of ACA is they own your soul for 3.5 years rather than with ACCA you can leave with 1months notice.
    I'm an ACA but I don't think anyone in the know would think they are superior to ACCAs. The ACA (ICAI) brand is marketed a lot better though...

I think the above is well said, I am doing the "chartered exams" with the institute of Chartered Accountants- and they're not easy. Our firm has 4 partners 3 are FCA, and 1 is FCCA, at the end of the day the I don't see much difference except for the training - some people doing ACCA that qualified hadn't top knowledge on things, one guy who had just done his finals in ACCA couldn't even calculate wages correctly.

Also those doing ACCA are out of the office at the same time every year, if you are doing the chartered exams you don't miss out as the exams are staged at different times depending on the level.

I must say in my experience when the topic of what qualification one is doing comes up it is always those who are doing ACCA that start the whole -"oh we can work here, we are this, we are that" Why do you have to point this out, all A chartered accountant needs say is "I'm a Chartered Accountant" end of.

end of.

And the award for most naive post goes too...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement