Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harps

Options
  • 27-08-2007 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

I've decided I want to play Harp (I always pick the heavy expensive ones), but I'm struggling to find a place to buy them - both online and on the street. I want to avoid Waltons (long story, basically on principals), so any advice?

I realise it may be a bit of a contradiction, but I'm also looking for one with a reasonable pricetag. :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Hi a long time ago i used to play the harp but gave it up for violin.

It is a tricky instrument because move it from one side of the room to the other and you have to retune it all over again.

Plus the fact that when changing key sig you had to fiddle around with the clasps on the strings to get it into the right key was quite scary for expecially as you had to do it quite often in the middle of a piece.

It is a beautiful instrument though and if it is for you it is well worth it and since it is the same sheet music as a piano it will really help you understand music theory. ( i dont know if you play piano or anything or what tyupe of harp you want to learn)

The Irish harp is different to the concert harp by the way but at the begining it will not make much differance i dont think.

There used to be a guy who made them in the courtyard of marley park. I dont know if he was still there. The ones he makes are expensive but he does often know of cheaper second hand ones sometimes or he might be able to sort out renting one or something.

Plus there are so many second hand music sites on the internet selling old and new harps cheaply just google harps for sale and check ebay i saw some cheap ones going there.

Plus if you ask your teacher they might be able to give you some help.( i dont know if you have a teacher yet)

Now this is a long shot but i will say it to you sometimes you notice people playing the harp on the street in town it might be worth asking them for info if you see them. (Maybe not during mid piece though!)

There are lots of second hand music sites on the web check them out.

My teacher used to play at bunratty castle (i have no idea what she does now) harpers usually have classical training whether or not they play the Irish harp or the concert harp as the instrument is a little difficult and does require music theory knowledge. So chances are if you find a teacher they will have music theory knowledge. I hope you find a good teacher!

You will enjoy playing if you go ahead.:)

If i think of anything else should i pm you?

Right i dod not think my first post was that helpful so i am back:)

I checked ebay there are a few harps for sale at reasonable prices.

A few things for you to remember a few harps for sale on there are 22 string harps these do not usually have a full lever system ( sorry i dont know how much you know about the harp) things means that you cannot play in all keys plus a lot of music is not written for the 22 string harp. Now music can be rearranged usually but it is a bit of a hassle sometimes. Plus the fact that you cannot play in all keys would bother me.

THe next up is usually the 30 string harp and then the 34/36 string harp.

I would go for the 30 string harp as most of these have a full lever system(very important i think) you can play a lot os music on them and you will develop musically , but you need to ask your teacher what they think they may want you to go for the full 34 string or 36 string i dont know.

Now there are a few on ebay i checked they are amongst ornaments of harps so look carefully through them.

Failing that there is a place in Dublin called Tara harps

THey have three types for sale

THe Irish minstrel which is a 22 string harp with semitone levers in the c and f strings. This is from 450 euro to 600 euro depending on the extras you get (harp case and stand tuning key etc)

Then there is the bardic harp which is a 30 string harp with full semitone lever system and it has four octaves G to A. This is 1500 euro i would save for this one if i was really commited to learning the harp but you know the kind of music you want to play and maybe this would not be enough or you may feel the 22 string is enough.

THe next one is the Tara harp (these are their names by the way of their models) Which is a 34/36 string harp with a full semitone lever system in 8 minor and major keys. And tuning from two octaves below middle C. THis one is 2600 euro.

Now obviously these are new you may be able to find a few second hand but really you need to know which type you need musically. And advice from a teacher is advisable as they will know which type of music you will be playing and what type of instrument you will need.

These are all Irish harps by the way but you can play different types of music on them i think classical harps tend to be more expensive in may experience and you can learn classical music on the Irish harp certainly as a beginner i think although you may need a full harp for definite then i think.

Look on ebay but make sure that you get the right harp for your needs nothing would be more annoying than spending 500 euro on a second hand harp only to find you cannot play the music you need to on it.

Make sure all the levers are in working order ( that was what got me about the harp having to rearrange the levers in the middle of a piece sometimes to play a piece) and get a tuning key with it. ( i am sure you can get this in any music shop but just make sure it works for YOUR harp i am sure most do though)

I can give you details about tara harps and how to get there ( they are in dublin) or how to contact them by pm if you like i dont know what the rules are about putting up details about someones business up.

Check ebay and see what you think again you must ask your teacher what they think you need you may only need to rent or borrow one for a while you may only need a 22 string harp for the typw of music YOU want to play or your teacher mmay feel you will not develop technichally and musically without a full harp from the start.

Remember you are only getting advice from a violinist here who used to play the harp a very long time ago for a while. So if you know anyone who plays the harp ask them and of course get a good teacher with a good technique who will advise you and teach you well. THey will know what you need and it may be a full harp. If so it would be worth getting if this is really what you want.Plus all of the harps mentioned above should last you a lifetime if looked after.

You can play classical music on an Irish harp although they are different so again find out what YOU want and need.

If i think of anything else i will pm you or post here or something:)

Hope this helps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

I want to avoid Waltons (long story, basically on principals)

If they have what you want then overcome your 'principals' and get it - you'll be doing yourself more benefit than them - especially if the principal is really self imposed rule that you cannot justify reasonably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

What a speedy and informative reply Lou.m! :)

I play piano, and I'm heading into a music degree this september, which is why I want to start a new instrument.

I actually haven't even looked for a tutor yet, its usually how i work with instruments - get it, teach myself for a month or so then get tuition. Any info on one (preferably close to Maynooth)? You can PM me if you like.

My knowledge is pretty slim, and I got rather confused when I saw all the string numbers and levers etc. Soooo, you've cleared that up very nicely. :)

I chose it because of its similarities with the piano. I was considering a flute or a clarinet, but I really like the ability to create lots of harmonies with just one instrument.

I'm not the worlds biggest Irish music fan, so it would be mainly Classical I'd be playing I'd say. I'm sure I'd work through the grades. With this in mind, should I avoid the 22 string, and go straight for the 30 string?

Thanks again! :)

Sandwich wrote:
    If they have what you want then overcome your 'principals' and get it - you'll be doing yourself more benefit than them - especially if the principal is really self imposed rule that you cannot justify reasonably.

I really don't want to list my problems with Waltons. I realise what I said might sound snobby, but I believe my reasons are justified. Thats all that matters.

• Advertisement

Hey back again sorry about this i kind of though of something.

Funky penguin i dont know if you want a pedal harp (classical) or a lever harp(irish or folk etc) now you can play classical music on a lever harp and Irish music on a pedal harp and i am not sure if you have musical experience or anthing but there is a different technique to the lever and pedal harp.

Pedal harps tend to be more expensive i think.

I played a lever harp before moving on to classical violin.

And i know that you can play much more types of music on the pedal harp compared to a lever harp but i dont know if this is going to make a difference to you.

I dont know what type of music you want to play.

Again you need to talk to your teacher.

Pedal harps can have different mumber of strings also for example i saw one for sale that was a 78 stringed harp for 4000 euro. (A bit too much for a beginner i think).

Now a lever harp might be fine still if you want to play classical music but it is a different technique to a pedal harp so again you need to ask your teacher.

Where are you going to learn?

Maybe i am going too much into this for someone just starting but i dont know if you have any prior musical experience like piano or something.

I am not sure what you want.

I know you are not going to need a double stringed harp at this stage at least but have you talked to a teacher what type of music do you want to learn?

What musical experience have you?

To clear things up a lever harp (of which their are many types) is the type you see musicians play on the streets in town an irish harp or celtic or folk (these can be different and you can play some classical music on them but the technique is different).

The pedal harp(again there are many different types) is the one you see groucho marx play in one of the marx brother films you know a concert harp or something like it (think ornate and big). You can play more types of music on it and the pedal system means you dont need levers.

Crossing from the lever harp to the classical harp is not something i ever did but if you have a good harp teacher from the beginning who teaches you a good technique i am sure you could.

I think you just need to get good advice and think of what you want to play.

Get a really good teacher if you can and ask.

And then you need to find out about wire strung and nylon strung etc.

Gosh there is a lot to think about this harp buying business.

Plus i dont know what age you are i was quite young when i took up the harp and violin but i dont think teachers of the harp are quite as obsessed which students age as violin teachers are i am not sure.

Do try to get a good teacher though.

If you show that you really want to learn and are commited then i am sure a good teacher will take you on. But you may have to show that.

And remember playing the harp can damage your health if you learn a bad techique (i am not kidding) you can get back problems neck problems etc.

Dont let any teacher teach you a technique that damages your body. Remember everyones body is different. And you need a good technique that you feel comfortable with.

Your instrument must suit you.

Violin suits me!

Although i did like the harp somewhat but it is a lot of work sometimes a lot of that work has nothing to do with music (it is a physically demanding instrument and beautiful but takes work to transport etc.)Plus the constant retuning!

But it is really beautiful in many ways and walking around town you look at the people playing and it can be magical.Anyway thats the way i feel about my violin it is magic!

Music is magic!:)

I can pm you the details of that Tara Harp place if you like i dont know if i am allowed to put them up here.

Sorry for posting so much it is just there is a lot to consider maybe i went into it too much.

But as i said ask your teacher they will know so much more than i do about what you should do.

MAybe borrowing one or renting one at this stage would be possible.

I know you dont like waltons but i think i remember a few years ago they had a system where you rented a harp and then if you bought it they took of what you paid in rent. I could be totally wrong now or else they may not do it anymore.

I think the first one i had was either rented or borrowed form the guy in marley park who made them (i dont know if he is still there or not he may be years gone) then i got one of my own i think we got a second hand one through him too.

Hey if all else hails you could try the yellow pages:)

Again ask a teacher they may be able to help you. ANd they will know what you want and need.

Hi i have pmed you with info but you need to really ask an expert.

I actually think a 34-36 stringed harp that is fully levered with the standard string tension and string spacing( this is important ask about it to get an answer) as a pedal harp is what you may need as if you are just going to play classical you may( in fact if you want to go on to classical harp seriously you probaly will at some stage) be going on to a pedal harp (these are very expensive so a lot of students start with a lever harp at first).

I had if i remember a 34-36 stringed fully levered harp with standard string tension and spacing but i sold it a few years ago.

Read the pm it goes into more detail and i expalin why i think you may need a teacher from the begining for this.(although i could be wrong).

Also you really need someone in the know to advise you (eg more in the know than a violinist who used to play).

For instance it maybe that you will never go on to a pedal harp or that your teacher will want you to go on to one quite quickly.

I dont know:)

But enjoy playing it is a beautiful instrument maybe i will take it up again if so i may just have to go round and borrow your harp (JOKE:) )!!!

Sp ask around and get as much info as you can before you make your mind up.

There are a few on ebay but make sure about it being fully levered and the string tension, spacing and of course the number of strings.

Ad of course make sure that this is the type that you are going to need so ask a harpist or teacher!!!

Let me know how you get on.

MAke sure you get the right one for you instruments are magic!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Funky Penguin: Are you going into a degree program in N.U.I.M or your degree ]year?

Lou. M, can't thank you enough for the information. It's cleared up quite a bit for me!

Basically, I think I'm going to find me a tutor first. I'm heading to MAynooth Monday, so I'll do some detective work then.

Thanks once again. :)

Banquo, I'm only starting come september. I've basically worked my ass off for the last three years to get in, so I can't wait! :)

Advertisement